Update about blogCa

Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Rethinking the electric car

 This is a CAT994A.





It burns around 1,000 litres of fuel in 12 hours, moving around 250 tons of dirt to remove materials needed to produce ONE Tesla battery.


To make any battery, you have to edit:
- 12 tonnes of lithium silk
- 15 tons of ore for cobalt
- 3 tons of ore for nickel,
- 12 tonnes of copper ore
And move 250 tons of crust.


For only - one - battery, approximately:
- 12 kg Lithium
- 30 kg Nickel
- 22 kg Mangan
- 15 kg of cobalt
- 100 kg of copper
- 200 kg of aluminum, steel and plastic
And people believe in zero emissions when driving their electric car


Posted on Facebook Mar 10 by Ilona Kaa


Today's quote:

"There is no reason why a great poet should be a wise and good man, or even a tolerable human being, but there is every reason why his reader should be improved in his humanity as a result of reading him."  Northrop Frye,

15 comments:

  1. This is why there has been research going on for a while on alternatives to these metals/minerals...Sodium is one suggestion...and there is plenty of that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad some scientists are considering better sources for storing electricity.

      Delete
  2. We are between a rock and a hard place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's where humans have often moved into new and better ideas to solve these issues. I have hope still.

      Delete
  3. Wow, more research is needed. Take care, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...electric vehicles are the future, but the future isn't here yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing movies with the flying cars...ah, we can dream. The Jetsons thought it would happen by now!

      Delete
  5. Interesting information.
    I changed my mind about electric vehicles because the EMF (electromagnetic field) lack of research for people sensitive to EMFs. Imagine a baby in an electric vehicle exposed to EMFs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew that! Thanks for sharing it. I had a Tesla car start up next to mine, and as it drove past, I heard the weirdest noise...a whirring kind of murmmer.

      Delete
  6. Barbara, Exactly my concern when it comes to EVs. We're moving too fast (admittedly started too late) for needed change without looking at all aspects of the issue. I have similar questions about wind turbines...and disposal as well as solar fields and their waste. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our kids have one. The battery sure is the issue for all sorts of reasons. I hope they keep working on it and get it right, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is why I am please to be 80 and sure to be through driving or living before I must deal with an electric car.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It’s a problem to be solved. Meanwhile, I sit here with a plastic device on my lap that contains all sorts of rare minerals mined from all over the world. Another such device is on the table next to me. Isn’t it ironic?

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.