Update about blogCa

Thursday, July 20, 2023

Compostable Garbage Bags arrived

They feel like plastic, but everything they write about them says they'll compost away if in a composting site.

I do wonder what they're made of. Here are some photos. And with my super chemical nose, I'm feeling a tickle or two for whatever chemistry they are made from.






I'm not pleased that the bottom is gathered and won't bloom apart...thus losing some of the inner space for trash and such.


I honestly hadn't considered composting with these garbage bags. As one person I don't make that much veggie leavings...though there are the times I over buy and have a whole bag of spinach that's gone bad.  I know if I were making that large amount of compostable scraps, it would definitely be a wet mass, and I agee that I think it's not reliable for a week long pile of mush. I'm going to start with just my dry trash...papers, things that can't be recycled...and will add the compost items the day I take the trash out to be picked up by the big garbage truck. My goal is to have all the trash inside continue to deteriorate (if it does) and in 6 months the bag will have dwindled down, thus saving one piece of plastic in the dump.

Isn't that a hoot?

But I will certainly pass the box around and offer friends to try a bag. The cost with shipping for 30 bags was just $22.87.






Today's quote:
The highest result of education is tolerance. 
-Helen Keller, author and lecturer (1880-1968)


12 comments:

  1. ...I often wonder if some of thing is mere hype.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not that skeptical, but do wonder what this compostible bag is made of!

      Delete
  2. Your community does not recycle paper? We do paper one week and containers the next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of wrappers which aren't recylable...kitchen stuff, bathroom and bedroom stuff. Those go to a dump somewhere. Every other week we have recyles of glass, plastic, paper and cardboard, all picked up in a required (you guessed it) blue plasic bag.

      Delete
  3. First, I love your header. 30 bags for 22.87, that seems pricey to me. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an interesting concept! Good research. We usually throw our 'compost' in the garden. We don't have much. Butch raccoon eats it for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you don't have friends from the woods like all our black bears.

      Delete
  5. We have collections for plastic containers and bottles, metal cans and glass and small electrics, green waste and landfill ( not builders rubble) soft one use plastic bags are collected in supermarkets. Other things we can take to a recycling and rubbish centre, where we can pick up compost made from the green waste.
    There have been many questions about those compostable plastic bags.,.some are only compostable in hit commercial composting, not home compost bins

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve tried these things. I was not impressed. Sometimes they broke, so I had to put them inside a regular trash bag. And consumer groups point out that these are not very compostable. They will eventually break down under “ideal conditions.” But even paper bags may take decades to break down in a landfill, so these are better in the long run than plastic, which may last for centuries.

    I am currently using “compostable” doggy bags for cleaning up after my dog. There is probably some benefit to the world eventually. Usually these things are made from corn starch or something like that. People who have corn allergies worse than mine are very concerned about these products. I haven’t had a problem with them so far. I try not to drink out of corn-based cups though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know. Thank you for your experience, the corn problem didn't occur to me!

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.