Update about blogCa

Saturday, February 18, 2023

I love all breads!


Frybread

"With so many different tribes of Indigenous people in the United States, traditional foods vary from region to region.

I've gladly eaten Frybread at Pow Wows in Tennessee, Florida and North Carolina. It's often produced at arts and crafts outdoor shows.

"... frybread is a 144-year-old traditional Navajo recipe that has a painful origin. When Navajos, or Diné, as they call themselves, were being forced off of their land by the U.S. Government, they were given meager supplies to prevent starvation while on their 300-mile relocation.

Flour and lard were given as rations on the “Long Walk” from Arizona to New Mexico. Those ingredients led to fry bread, which is a large, fluffy, plate-size piece of fried dough. Although it’s a traditional food that is found at pow wows and around kitchen tables, it has been the focus of some controversy.

Frybread is not nutritionally healthy and is rooted in oppression. So those in the indigenous community may have different feelings about whether or not it’s comfort food. Healthy or not, comfort food is hard to resist!

Source: Archeology & Civilizations Facebook Group.

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. As a youngster, my favorite was the bread and gravy, served after I'd eaten my plate clean as a reward, on Sunday roast day! I even would have seconds!

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    I love breads too, but they do not love me. Going gluten free is not fun. Have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would really have trouble going gluten free. I'm glad the effort is worth it for you.

      Delete
  3. I love bread. I sometimes call myself a bread-a-holic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know who said it, but it is the staff of life.

      Delete
  4. Never had it although we did visit the Navajo territory for a bit in Monument Valley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have it in the west, but the Eastern bands of Native Americans sometimes make it at big shows or pow-wows. I bet it's pretty much the same.

      Delete
  5. New to.me.

    There is Bannock bread among tribes here.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.