Update about blog

The Animas River flows under the Durango-Silverton narrow gauge railroad bridge in Durango's Rotary Park. Part of the Animas River Trail - walking and biking, dog walking and jogging! And benches for resting and reflecting!

Sunday, August 9, 2026

This week's events

 

Me and my Leo friends!

Yes, my windows were quickly closed when the steam engine toot tooted by this morning around 9 am. They go up to Silverton almost on the hour in the mornings. I have less information about return trips because my west facing windows are shuttered by the blinds to keep out the bright sun in the afternoons.


My son, Russ,  is quite proud of his daughter who was in the Washington Post!


What do you think of Olive Oil Ice Cream?


Our air quality has gone down to moderate due to the nearby fires. But our wind is from the NNE so it's not directly coming our way. I went out before 11 (on Wed. when I wrote this) and didn't notice any problem...but I'm still adjusting to the altitude and using oxygen continuously.


It was delightful going out around 8 and not feeling hot at all! Air quality was ok too. (You may have seen some of these photos before if you ever read my musings on my other blog, Inner Workings.)

I got my exercise bringing things in from the car which were purchased the day before, most of the work is hiking down the long hallway to my apartment.


By Wednesday afternoon I could walk without holding onto the railing...and not be completely out of breath. This altitude of 6512 constantly makes my lungs work harder. My apartment is second from the end!



With windows open at dawn, I was cool enough to wear my Alpaca shawl!


I made buckwheat pancakes for last Sunday night supper. They were ok tasting, but crumbled more than regular wheat ones.


Silly little things to adjust to. 

A dark towel works to combat sunlight streaming along the bottom of the bedroom blinds,


I often nap around 2-3 when that sun just blasts against these windows.


The first train of the day is a diesel. The steam engine seems to pull the second one. I don't know if this is the pattern all the time, but it seemed to be this last week.


A nice fortune-teller type forecast! I do hope you have all these things come your way!





11 comments:

  1. Hello Barb,
    I am glad you are adjusting to the altitude. You have pretty views from your windows.
    It is a good idea to keep the blinds closed on those super hot sunny days.
    I hope good things are coming your way! Great quote.
    Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen...I am so glad to be living here now!

      Delete
  2. When we recently toured the restoration sight apartments, the hauling of groceries was the one thing that came to mind. I don’t suppose they deliver?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walmart delivers to one's door...I was told. There are also shopping carts in the laundry room for one to unload things into...if they are there. So far others have been using them when I needed anything bigger...but they helped my crew move me into the apartment. The front doors downstairs are key-fob entry, or with a buzz from the landlady's office when she is there. Other deliveries are left on a ground floor table inside the front door. We have to trust the other residents.

      Delete
  3. You seem to be getting the hang of living in your new place. That's a long hallway to navigate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is now my walking meditation...a good challenge to pay attention to how my feet hit the floor.

      Delete
  4. Seeing those trains outside your window takes me back to my childhood. We lived right beside the train tracks too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a train track in our back yard I mean that in the most literal way. Even after all these years, it can be startling.
    Olive oil ice cream. Hmmm... I'd have to try it to know but I have no overwhelming desire to do so.
    You are looking lovely, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW The 473 Engine made my day@ ! Howlucky you are, The diesel train is also pretty wonderful, coming from a railroad family trains are in the blood! Time to take a ride! the walls to get to your apartment are about as charming as a mental ward! Glad that you are settling in, it takes some adjustment that is for sure!
    Here is a link to 473 tooting chuffing along
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0lUYh8kgOM

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll pass on the olive oil ice cream. Train tracks at the other end of my street on the other side of the street mine ends at. There is only one crossing opposite this little neighborhood and it has lights, bells, and arms but the engineer that drives that train that come through at 3 am love to lay on the horn. I can hear it at my end inside the house. I can only imagine how loud it is for the people who live at the other end.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I tried moderating, thinking that would be a quicker way to check on comments, but actually it takes more time. So go ahead and talk amongst yourselves, and I'll check in when I can!!