Unknown mountain by unknown photographer
The last snowfall I experienced in Black Mountain.
There are promises of more snow here in my new home in Colorado, though the residents say the snowfall has been too light recently and causes more drought conditions.
by Marcin Zając, Yosemite ValleyBut it's still August!
Cliff Palace at Mesa Verde, Colorado, holds roughly 150 rooms and 23 kivas.
Aug 22 500pm landslide on the back of Mesa Verde from Cortez CO
Today is the 110th anniversary of the National Parks. So admission is free to all of them. I am tempted to join the traffic at Mesa Verde. There are also going to be protests. The current administration has not supported the work that traditionally kept these parks beautiful. It has tried to make them into cash cows for mining, logging and other profitable ventures.
fairyland-loop-trail-bryce-canyon-national-park
More recently I've particularly enjoyed the Blue Ridge Parkway for the last 19 years, which is also a National Park.
What's your favorite national park?
-------------
Sharing with Tom's Tuesday's Treasures
Update from Gary, Indiana. (World Central Kitchen)
WCK teams mobilized across the city over the weekend alongside food truck partners, taking meals directly to communities impacted by the ongoing power outage. In the Tolleston neighborhood, the team from La Cocinita served rice bowls packed with chicken, beans, and salad with salsa verde. #ChefsForIndiana





My favs here are Banff and Jasper. Having said that, I have been in more provincial parks. Oh yes, I have been in Yoho NP too. Was the Grand Canyon a national park? I have been there.
ReplyDeleteThose sound like great Canadian National Parks. I've been to Glacier NP in the US, which I thought was contiguous to Banff, but can't figure it out by maps today. Yes Grand Canyon is certainly a national park. I'd never heard of Yoho, and so once again I've become your student.
DeleteI don't think I've been to a National park in many years. Possibly the last one I visited was Bryce Canyon. The parks truly are the jewels and gems of our country and so of course the current administration sees them only within the the scope of how they can profit from them.
ReplyDeleteI spent several months once (when unemployed) just camping out in national and state parks a whole summer with my two oldest boys. It was 10,000 miles on the camper van, and a wonderful experience (back when gas was less than a dollar a gallon.) I did have a year later to pay off the credit and gas cards!
DeleteWe have the St. Gaudens National Historical Park nearby and yes there has been a cutback in staff hours there impacting how well they can care for the park. Another tragedy we can attribute to this administration as it favors wealth and business to the detriment of us all.
ReplyDeleteThat's great that a historic site has become a National Park...at least that used to mean more protection of it. Many thousands of historic sites haven't become NPs. These days the volunteers help keep some areas going...like the trail helpers along the Blue Ridge Parkway and Appalachian Trail.
Delete