Update about blog

Some color near Durango CO

Friday, August 28, 2026

Tall mountains

 The following photos were posted by Marie Enriquez of Mt. Blue Sky, which has the highest road that goes on a "Fourteener" - one of the mountains in  Colorado that is 14,000 feet or more high.

Colorado is home to 58 named peaks that rise above 14,000 feet in elevation, known as the fourteeners or 14ers. Climbing these impressive summits is one of the most popular outdoor activities in the state

It used to be called Mt. Evans. I didn't live here when the name was changed, but I visited it in 2005 when the old name still was there, as well as some remaining glaciers.




It was still called Mt. Evans when I visited in 2005.







The glaciers have all melted which fed these lakes.



The mountain was previously named for the second
governor of the Territory of Colorado, John Evans. However, due to Evans's involvement in the 1864 Sand Creek Massacre, there were years of discussion over renaming Mount Evans. On September 15, 2023, the United States Board on Geographic Names officially changed the mountain's name to Mount Blue Sky.
Wikipedia

Sharing with Sepia Saturday and Skywatch Friday


-------------

First visit with new pulmonologist - very encouraging. He gave me lots of hope. He recommended pulmonary rehab (which I've done before and found really beneficial) as well as physical therapy to help me feel more confident walking. I hope these will enable me to be able to walk around my neighborhood soon. Plus he said to give it 6 months to get used to living more than a mile high.


33 comments:

  1. ...14,130' gives new meaning to tall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Rocky Mountains have always intrigued me...but I dearly loved the Appalachians too!

      Delete
  2. Mountains do wonders for the spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is that! The ability to get a good breath is also important. They sell oxygen in cans at coffee shops here!

      Delete
  3. Love the views of the mountains! The goats are cute too. Great advice from the doctor, with time you will adjust. Take care, Happy Friday! Have a great day and happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute little goats. But they are fast. I saw some but missed getting their photos...as a matter of fact, I've lost all my photos from that trip.

      Delete
  4. I much prefer the reason for renaming Mount Evans than the ones Trump is using to rename bodies of water.
    How sad the glaciers have melted. Global warming? What? That's not real, is it?
    I'm so negative today. I'm sorry. I'm thrilled about what your new pulmonologist said.
    And have you ever seen goats in trees? Those are some crazy animals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and it took years to rename that mountain! There were just barely any threads of ice still when I saw the remaining glaciers. It is global warming, which causes less snowfall as well. Nope, never seen a goat in a tree, but it is certainly believable.

      Delete
  5. Good news from the doc. Sounds like you found a good pulmonologist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked his approach. Not just science, but observation.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous photos! 14K is getting way up there!! Glad things are going well health-wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was only 63 when I visited Mt. whatever. But the altitude was already a bit difficult for me. We didn't stay long, and it was also very cold at the top of the windy mountain. We went early because usually weather came up and clouded over the views in the afternoon.

      Delete
  7. You are so lucky to have such a magnificent view! And the Mt. Blue Sky pix are wonderful. Love the one of the goat on the log cabin roof. :) And good news about your health! I'll bet it's hard taking it easy when there's so much of your new place you want to see & explore but 6500+ feet elevation is 'up there' so you do need to become acclimatized before venturing too far. Just be careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely good advice. Not only having to be patient, but take things easy. Whew!

      Delete
  8. So glad your Pulmonologist is recommending the rehab and P.T.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much beauty in your new home and so different from the beauty of your previous years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and you've got those wonderful mountain views of Appalachia.

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous blue skies!!!! And great news about your pulmonologist. It sounds like you have found a great doctor and his suggestions are right on point! One step at a time in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you got encouragement from the doctor. The pictures are inviting. I think it is best to name places after a geographic feature rather than a person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that idea, not naming places after people. These days it is so strange that tRump wants to rename everything around!

      Delete
  12. I love the good news from the doctor!
    Mount Blue Sky is very high! I love the goats. I'm glad they changed the name from somebody involved in the Sand Creek Massacre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of the Sand Creek Massacre, so had to read a bit of history. So many atrocities were perpetrated upon the Natives, all of the soldiers in the Army were guilty. But the Union army had been fighting the Civil War and perhaps were still into "blood lust."

      Delete
  13. I'm glad they changed the name to reflect what the Native Americans called it! A lot of old timers are angry about it as being "woke," which is so stupid, as before it was called Mt Evans it was called Mt Roasalie, so it has had a name change already in the past. We visited the Sand Creek Massacre National National Historic Park --I have an old post on my blog When were there a Native American was looking over area with tears in his eyes as her told us that some of his ancestors were killed in the attack. Sadly, our country's push for "Manifest Destiny" made natives seem like a problem to "get rid of"-- it is so disgraceful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for more info on the name history. So sad about how the western Europeans treated the Natives everywhere colonialism took root.

      Delete
  14. Interesting mountains and beautiful lakes. I've never been there but I'm looking at your beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photos were made by another person, then shared on FaceBook, where they are available I think.

      Delete
  15. From the Blue Ridge to the Blue Sky! I wish our hills had wild goats. But I suppose they would cause problems for the native vegetation. Your health news is very encouraging and I hope your doctor's timetable will pass quickly for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once saw a herd of goats in temporary fencing being used to clear underbrush and vines before people could even get in and cut trees. Much better than machetes! Thanks, I'm hopeful today!

      Delete
  16. What wonderful scenary you have on your doorstep. Lots for you to explore near your new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are certainly a variety of views in the Rocky Mountains, much as there were in the Appalachians!

      Delete

Please let me know what you're thinking. I'm mostly over on the other blog these days...Life in Durango.