Update about blogCa

Sunday, April 9, 2023

Reactivate your Second Heart

 

The Peper Perspective




This article speaks of the medical aspects of sitting as often as we are doing these days. GET UP AND WALK AROUND NOW!  Use link in title to see article from biofeedback expert Erik Peper.


"Sitting without moving the leg muscles puts additional stress on your heart, as the blood and lymph pools in the legs. Tightening and relaxing the calf muscles can prevent the pooling of the blood.  The inactivity of your calf muscles does not allow the blood to flow upwards. The episodic contractions of the calf muscles squeezes the veins and pumps the venous blood upward towards the heart as illustrated in figure 1.  Therefore, it is important to stand, move, and walk so that your calf muscle can act as a second heart (Prevosti, April 16, 2020). 




9 comments:

  1. Hello,
    This is good information. I try to move around and walk as much as I can. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Ditto Tom, I need this reminder. My son has set an alarm on his phone to get up and move around when he's playing video games on his computer into the wee hours (he's going to be 59 next month.)

      Delete
  3. Barbara, I'm all too familiar with this issue...wearing compression socks as I write this. Too many issues popping up as I age...but at least I'm lucky enough to be able to age... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is gratitude shared by many of us "elder" folks...in being able to talk about issues and share, which perhaps some of the youngsters might some day read!

      Delete
  4. I should probably set a timer on my phone to remind me to get up and walk around. Once I had a job where I had to park on the street, and it was a good thing, because every two hours I had to leave the computer and go move my car.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.