Update about blogCa

Saturday, March 21, 2020

Bicycle girls

A "vintage" Schwinn bike, for sale at $350 with another $100 shipping. This one is a 1973 model. Mine when I was in college in 1960 was a 3 speed, with hand brakes. This was new to me, as well as those thin wheels. I'd been on balloon tires with pedal brakes up till then.

But I learned quickly, riding it to and from classes every day.

Then I had another bike when I finished my BFA and my M.ED. and Ed.S. at the University of Florida in the 1980s. I loved relearning how to swerve along walkways to avoid other bikes and pedestrians.

AND, I was carrying my little son on the back of the bike a lot of the time. We didn't wear helmets at that time, and I usually had a back pack on with books. I again had a thin tire bike, not like the woman below. Also our baby carrier was just yellow plastic, but it did have a seat belt. I'd drop my son at the day care, or his kindergarten, then wheel across campus to classes. We lived on campus the last 3 years of my study, which was another tiny apartment in my life.



The bicycle girls...on Sepia Saturday this week.




14 comments:

  1. ...some bikes sure have gotten expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't even looked closely at them lately! Very impressive!

      Delete
  2. Kids on the back. We did that in the 70s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...if there were safe enough roads to travel.

      Delete
  3. I was given a beautiful sky-blue 3-geared bike with white-sidewall balloon tires (and peddle brakes which I much prefer)for my 12th birthday. I loved that bike. It was second-hand, but my Dad had repainted it, put a nice big basket on the front, & outfitted it with special white rubber handles with plastic red & green jeweled ends. I rode that thing everywhere - and of course, back then, without helmet or any other kind of protection. Consequently I had a few cuts, scrapes, and burns when I occasionally crashed. Luckily, nothing truly serious! Later, my sister and I used to rent bikes and go riding through Golden Gate Park in San Francisco. Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I crashed a few times when a teen, but not once (that I remember) I got the Schwinn. Maybe wearing stockings sometimes pushed me to be more of a lady. But most of the time I was in bobby socks and loafers. And I was very lucky not to have any spills while carrying precious cargo behind me!

      Delete
  4. There's something about getting a bicycle that's different from choosing a car. It's not just that it has to fit our physique, but I think it has to inspire our desire to be in motion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, The last time I was on a bike, I fell off. I twisted my leg and tore my hamstring, it still hurts at times. Never been on a bike again.. Love the last photo. Enjoy your day, wishing you a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any day now my bike will come out of the shed for another summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a long time since I rode a bike. Actually the last time was on a tandem bicycle with a blind guy on the rear seat. He really enjoyed our rides.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I took a spill from my bike last summer and that discouraged me from riding. I've reached the age where I can't afford to break a bone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The last time I rode a bike was on the Creeper Trail in southwest Virginia. When I look back on that, I scare myself thinking how it could have gone so wrong.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.