Update about blogCa

Sunday, August 5, 2018

18 days till...

...Aug 23.  That's my date or anniversary of my birth in 1942.  Doesn't that sound like a long time ago?  Well, to me it does!

And here I've changed the name of this blog to reflect my 75th year, as it ebbs away.  I used to call this "When I was 69" but realized it was a bit out of date.  Just like me...ha ha ha.

Whenever I have an afternoon like yesterday, I just go take a nap.  It was a nice enough day, but I finished my book, and didn't feel inclined to start another one, though I did open it on my mini iPad.  Actually I listened to one for about 2 minutes and decided against it.  Then the free library books got a freeze situation on the iPad, so I put it away and put on the C-PAP to sleep in comfort. I have become pretty particular in what I do with my remaining days.


That isn't meant to sound morbid, but once we pass a certain age, maybe once we become the last of our nuclear family, there's the reality that hits - we only have a limited amount of time left.  Of course that's an unknown quantity, and I'm always waking up each morning with gratitude to have another day to live.

And today I really missed my conversations with my best friend that I've shared daily for the last 18 years... Rosie.  I choked up as I walked in the kitchen.  Just reminded of something or another that she loved and I wanted to share with her.  But she's been gone now 4 months.  It was how she liked lumps in her mashed potatoes, and mine had some that night.

My evenings are usually at the computer, and with the TV going in the background, until I settle into bed, and read until I'm sleepy.  It doesn't usually take long.  Sometimes I watch a movie.

The weather hasn't been that great for walking out in the woods, but I am feeling drawn to do that again soon.  I reminded a new friend that that's how I get my batteries charged.  She agreed that it helps when she's feeling pulled in too many directions.

How would you write about your one precious life if it was to end in 18 days? Would you do anything different? (Of course that's just that my 75th year will be ending, and I'll be starting year 76.)

I think before I give a quote from a famous person or another, I'll give some of my gratitudes.

People...where to start? The family, wonderful three sons, so different in personalities...and then grandchildren...and in-laws...the choices that people make for spouses.  Friends, a subset that became my family in this environment.  Ancestors...the interesting things I learn about the people whose love resulted in me eventually.

Environment...beauty, peace, clean air, sounds of nature, mountains, water, plants and trees...temperature, humidity (Ha!) rain, snow, wind, sun.  Ah sun.

Music.  I came late to appreciation of it.  

Art.  I came early to it's beauty.

Creativity...ongoing urge to make beauty.

Sustenance...food, shelter, transportation, minimal attire (I really need to buy some new shoes)

Health.  As I age, more of my time and resources are spent on this.

Today's quote:
1. Be patient. No matter what.
2. Don’t badmouth: Assign responsibility, not blame. Say nothing of another you wouldn’t say to him.
3. Never assume the motives of others are, to them, less noble than yours are to you.
4. Expand your sense of the possible.
5. Don’t trouble yourself with matters you truly cannot change.
6. Expect no more of anyone than you can deliver yourself.
7. Tolerate ambiguity.
8. Laugh at yourself frequently.
9. Concern yourself with what is right rather than who is right.
10. Never forget that, no matter how certain, you might be wrong.
11. Give up blood sports.
12. Remember that your life belongs to others as well. Don’t risk it frivolously.
13. Never lie to anyone for any reason. (Lies of omission are sometimes exempt.)
14. Learn the needs of those around you and respect them.
15. Avoid the pursuit of happiness. Seek to define your mission and pursue that.
16. Reduce your use of the first personal pronoun.
17. Praise at least as often as you disparage.
18. Admit your errors freely and soon.
19. Become less suspicious of joy.
20. Understand humility.
21. Remember that love forgives everything.
22. Foster dignity.
23. Live memorably.
24. Love yourself.
25. Endure.
John Perry Barlow





1 comment:

  1. Must add science and technology to my gratitude list. Without the internet I wouldn't be sharing this, nor reading my favorite blogs, nor enjoying all the movies and TV shows (few though they be) nor having a car to travel around.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.