Update about blogCa

Saturday, December 9, 2023

Our waters sustain our lives.

 Think of where each stream and river empties into the oceans. Then think of all the ones in the world.

  Here OPEN CULTURE offers an article and maps with ALL the world's water drainage!

Here's the one of US rivers.


I have been a member of a network looking at a local watershed drainage basin. Swannanoa Watershed Action Network (SWAN) has some great ideas, like using the Doughnut Economics' regenerative model for various area workshops.

One member (Carlos Espinosa) has been working on a neighborhood at the very highest area of drainage just below the Eastern Continental Divide in Ridgecrest NC, in his organization "Cool Rivers Forever"  Here's the link to his ongoing project there.


Flat Creek flows from Montreat down to the Swannanoa River.

Use the search space to find more of my posts here about the environment, water, SWAN, the Doughnut Economics model by Kate Raworth, and the Climate Conversation Group.


------------------------------------------

And a wonderful Banyan tree that survived the fires in Lahaina Hawaii last August...Photo by Mary Foster, current leaf growth.





I ate Sunday lunch at the Coach House with friends, and enjoyed seeing a shark graced with an elf cap, above their Christmas tree!

My favorite walking spot, around Lake Tomahawk, where various families raise their children.

Sometimes there doesn't appear to be any wildlife around the lake.

But while doing chair yoga yesterday, I saw a big bird with a white head land in the top of a pine tree. So I sort of snuck over through the seniors doing the foot stretches to take a phone photo of it, if possible. I could see it's big white head held above the branch it was sitting on, Of course I wanted to think Bald Eagle, but I said I'd settle for an Osprey (though neither are known to be in this area). However, there is a local Great Blue Heron that fishes in these waters...so I'm guessing that's who he was. 

I never lost sight of his white head, on the top branch that's sticking out parallel to the ground. I admit I've never seen a Great Blue fly to a tree and perch, so maybe this was my opportunity.

Sharing with Saturday Critters.

Today's quote:

We cannot have a healed society, we cannot have change, we cannot have justice, if we do not reclaim and repair the human spirit.

ANGEL KYODO WILLIAMS








13 comments:

  1. ...what is more important than water?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clean water is very important! Love the creek and the lake photos. You have a nice spot for your walks. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute critters, thanks for linking up and sharing your post. Enjoy your day!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for coming over here after I posted my critters to your "party" today!

      Delete
  3. Hi Barbara, Water related issues are a big topic over here on the west side of the Smokey Mountains as well. Locals are fighting against a proposed gravel pit that is near a couple of creeks that feed into the Tellico Lake/Reservoir. The other issue isn't about water per se but about the invasive Asian Catfish that are working their way up the Tennessee River system. No eagles or osprey in your area?! We have both around Tellico Lake...actually nesting pairs. My better half and I wandered underneath the Banyan Tree in Lahaina many years ago. It's survival is a sign of hope and regeneration... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you got a chance to see today's post about my friend who's hobby is a model train outfit with exact replica buildings! (my other blog). Yes invasive species of fauna are so difficult, as well as in flora! I still think it must have been at least an osprey, because all the cranes just don't have that bright a white head with the dark huge wings. I'm a former Florida gal, so have seen them before. Not as many eagles though. I'm so glad to hear about the Banyan Tree in Lahaina, and that you all got to enjoy it in its prime!

      Delete
  4. It's beautiful there at this time of year! I didn't realize you were a Florida gal. We moved here from Asheville!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I can tell you're a woman with a similar love of the woods, whether in the mountains or the pine forests of Florida! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

  5. The Banyan tree's resilience offers hope, while your wildlife sightings spark wonder. Thank you for inspiring us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I love that Banyan tree. What a fighter it is!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It is, and I have to go a bit further to find it than you do!

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.