Update about blogCa

Saturday, August 12, 2023

Sad photos of Maui

 Reality hits us over our heads sometimes. COVID did that.

 Climate chaos is another.

Wildfires in Hawaii seem far away from my North Carolina life. But wait, a new acquaintence I met working for Climate Change is from Maui. 

When  I tried to post on FB some articles from BBC they didn't get posted.  I made a comment about it, and a friend said she could see them. So there was just a lag time of about 15 minutes. Strange.

So here is a NPR link for some amazing before and after photos. Satellite images before and after.

And here's the link to the relevant article from BBC, interviews with visitors from Kansas who had to spend 4 hours in the ocean, and a local resident of Lahaina. Survivors describe.


My new friend's FB post did go out, listing places where shelters are open, where gasoline is available. Even a list of names accounted for and still missing. That really brings it home to me. Real people's addresses, which have probably been destroyed. Somehow this is more touching than the war in Ukraine. At least to me.


Sorry, I'm stuck with just links, and the short clips shown on the broadcast news.

This is Climate Chaos....in my humble opinion. So sad to read about the loss and suffering. But talking about it is the way I accept the shock, and acknowledge my feelings.


Today's quote:

What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. These are but trifles, to be sure; but, scattered along life’s pathway, the good they do is inconceivable.

JOSEPH ADDISON




12 comments:

  1. For all the talk of globalisation it seems that things hit home hardest when they are in our own country, no matter how distant, or we have some connection with the people in the affected area. I remember being very frustrated with the lack of news on the BBC when there was a war in Sudan (which there usually is, in one form or another); one of my best friends was working in Sudan at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about getting news from Asian or African conflicts...very difficult. I actually look to BBC world news as a best resource.

      Delete
  2. ...we have enjoyed many visits to Lahaina over the years. I will have a port on Tuesday, will climate change ever be take seriously?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to your post. So sad for all those dear people, who lived in paradise according to so many visitors.

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    The photos coming from Maui are just devastating, it is so sad. I have been to Maui, it is truly a paradise. Prayers for the people of Maui.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also very sad, this time something lovely has been destroyed.

      Delete
  4. I agree. It must be talked about, for those who are able. We've been talking about this horrid gun range, and we get anxiety. Sometimes you have to turn off the news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Acknowledging the emotions is what I want to share with others...the fear, the sadness, the anger. These real feelings can't just be stuffed down and not talked about...though maybe here in blogland it won't happen. But before a sitdown or on a phone call, these are opportunities I sometimes take. I also have to turn off the news.

      Delete
  5. It is just heartbreaking. Paradise destroyed. I had a friend from Hawaii.
    I feel like I am witnessing the beginning of the end of civilization.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really sad about the destruction of such a beautiful place...and the loss of all those lives...people as well as animals. There's heaviness that I carry around with me now.

      Delete
  6. Barbara, We've been to Maui and visited/shopped and ate in Lahaina. So sad for all the people who lived and worked there...plus a historic place lost forever. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.