Update about blogCa

Friday, August 25, 2023

A day to remember

 My 81st birthday was just sliding into a new number, my next trip around the sun.

But I was showered with good wishes, a bouquet, a gift card, calls and texts from almost all my family, lunch at my favorite restaurant, and lots of birthday cards. What unexpected fun.


Fortunately I've never looked like that...but the thought was...

So now I have to consider my sassy self. Not sure I've looked hard at her before!

The requesite selfie. See, no photos of Ole's Guacamole, where Suzanne treated me to a taco salad with grilled shrimp. Sorry, no photo even of those huge shrimps!

An unexpected treat was driving up to Montreat... 

And following directions as Suzanne drove...


...to a natural spring where she gets her drinking water every week. Ah, a good idea for when I don't use the Britta filters in a small pitcher. With all the water I've been drinking lately, I would like to try this. And actually I don't mind Black Mountain water, though it's been chlorinated and floride added.


I love the gift of flowers! They are so cheerful in my home, in my biggest vase (made by me)!!


On my Thursday excursion in the heat of noontime (what was I thinking? - that it would be hotter later) I passed by this interesting Roberta Flack mural. Though she was born here, she was raised elsewhere, so we're really stretching things to claim her!


I found street side parking, and reminded myself how to parallel park. Did pretty well I'd say. Then finally got to Kilwins for my birthday treat for myself. Fudge. I didn't want to try to eat ice cream outside in the heat, and they no longer have any tables inside. I had wanted dark chocolate walnut fudge...but they had either English Walnut or Dark Chocolate. So I got a piece of each. Then the clerk told me when you buy 2 you get one free. So I chose a turtle fudge, with pecans and caramel added.

I was so dedicated to my pursuit of fudge, I skipped going to the library. I didn't want the fudge to melt. And I'd forgotten to eat lunch also, so I made myself drink a protein drink before my first taste. Walnut fudge does not disappoint. 

Here's a sweet birthday card with bling, giving more decoration to the fudge box.

 
I am so grateful to have this little porch where geraniums and coleus, and basil and lavendar and mint and orchids have been happy all summer.

All in all, the first day of being 81 isn't so bad.

Today's quote:
And, "There is no reason why a great poet should be a wise and good man, or even a tolerable human being, but there is every reason why his reader should be improved in his humanity as a result of reading him."  Northrop Frye,


7 comments:

  1. Good stuff. My 76th is approaching quickly. With current issues hereabouts, I imagine that it will be less involved than your 81st.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think at certain point we start celebrating birth-weeks instead of birthdays.

      Delete
  2. Your birthday sounds nice, an outing and lunch with your friend, fudge and flowers. Sounds wonderful to me. Take care, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was totally satisfied, and yesterday I sampled too much of the fudge. I usually can discipline myself, but all that sugar is just stunning! I am stunned. And want more.

      Delete
  3. A belated wish for Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.