Update about blogCa

Saturday, June 10, 2023

An effort to keep some old photos here

 

Cat knows a good thing...




A good hobby, but don't grow up and do what that lady in the last photo did!



One of my favorite prarie family photos...cow on the roof, good team of horses, a table with watermellon cracked open, a dog by its master, and oldest family members get to sit down.

I kind of think this was a religious emblem, because most pioneer women would have chosen something more practical to carry. Just saying...



THis photo of an artist is somewhat a shock, after seeing her impressionist paintings of mothers and babes...so well pale and pink and just sending out light. She looks so drab and sad herself.


Drama just because he forgot his lunch!

Not sure who these ladies are...



Why do Americans like to jam together and make a lot of noise? 


Early work on the Golden Gate Bridge 


I loved that these new women doctors were willing to don their cultural robes for this photo. I bet they all would have prefered a white coat with a stethascope in the pocket.


It's amazing to think that 300 years ago, all clothing was seamed together by hand stitches!


He's really tired from wearing those boots. But the Missus is thinking he hasn't felt anything yet.

Let's see how it's done kids! The lady in the first photo will churn some butter while reading a book to you!

Not sure where, but jolly old England for sure.

The early Harley Davidson motorcycle factory

A complete intact culture, which Americans would destroy in a generation or two.



Mom's eye is on Dad, who has that far-away look in his eyes. 

Maybe having such strange taste in headgear herself, she was a strong independent woman who could actually change her own flat tire! And are those numbers painted on the radiator? Is that a race car perhaps?










I'm pretty sure this was a baseball game












I know this is a lot for one post.

Sharing with Sepia Saturday! And I did have at least one photo of motorcycles this week!




And quote for today
The more original a discovery, the more obvious it seems afterward. 
-Arthur Koestler, novelist and journalist  (1905-1983)



15 comments:

  1. Some great photos there. I love seeing pictures of what ordinary people did in their ordinary lives. I've often thought I should take more of those myself, but somehow you need a 'distant' view to discern what might be worth capturing - either as a tourist or a time traveller!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call those candid shots...and they are worth a million!

      Delete
  2. What a great collection of photos. I like the shot with the two girls and their cameras. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I hope they grew up to continue taking photos...just like you and I do!

      Delete
  3. ...what a fabulous collection. The diner caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is a bit different than your regular fast food these days!

      Delete
  4. That’s quite a plethora today. The drama/lunch one was really set up well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An amazing collection of photographs - something eye-catching and delightful about each one! I could detect a theme of strong women in so many different ways in your post, and, of course, you found a photo to match the prompt with the motorcycle factory. But by the time I reached that photo, I was already thinking you'd matched the prompt well with all those photos of strong women! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure is a medly I think, but I'm glad you found a connction between at least some of them!

      Delete
  6. Quite a collection. I am glad you were able to get them scanned. I learned to sew on a treadle machine. Two of my aunts washed in a tub with a wringer. My mom had a Maytag washing machine. So did her mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are great skills, which have been lost these days! My mom had the old washing machine with a wringer.

      Delete
  7. Another great collection of old photos. Your London photo is of Piccadilly Circus with the Eros statue removed and its plinth covered up - I would guess that was some time during WWII or shortly after.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always enjoy your picture posts which often seem like a kaleidoscope of images. Your first one of the woman churning baffled me because I thought she was reading something on her smartphone!

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.