Update about blogCa

Monday, June 30, 2014

What I've been reading

Summer days sometimes are hot, or rainy.  Good times for opening a good book.

I enjoyed "Big Stone Gap," by Adriana Trigiani, which was intriguing because 1. Wendy Welch speaks about it in her book, "Little Book Store in Big Stone Gap," and 2. it's being made into a movie, and 3. I've been there.  Thanks to friend Helen Bell who took a day trip with me to Wendy's store, where we had delicious food in the Second Story Cafe' and I sold my pottery!


Look who's in that movie!  Don't know when it's coming out, and I couldn't find a trailer for it.

I did laugh out loud a few times reading the book, which has some great plot twists, but still is somewhat predictable.  Now I just noticed (sorry, late to the table) there's a trilogy.  Since I did fall in love with the characters, I'll be looking for the others.

I also spent a few nights up later than intended reading "A Short Time to Stay Here," by Terry Roberts.  It's set in nearby Hot Springs, NC, and some of the events and settings in which the novel occurs are real, and/or actually happened, like turning a resort hotel into a concentration camp for Germans during WW I.  I am one of the few people who I know in Black Mountain who haven't ever been to Hot Springs.  I liked that the protagonist was not totally upright and had understandable character flaws.  I found the romance somewhat unusual, but because the author wrote in first person, I only felt that the male half was portrayed realistically.  The woman seemed to have some great ideas, but was just never as understandable or passionate as the male.  She could have been a heroine that I would have loved.  I was struck by finding Vicki Lane, a fellow blogger, thanked in the acknowledgements.  (Yes I'm one of those people who look at acknowledgements in books.)


Now I'm about to start reading "I Am Malala" by Malala Yousafzai, the girl who stood up for education for girls and was shot by the Taliban.  I'm aware of her story, and looking forward to learning more about a modern day heroine!

Jerry Pope, a friend, has written a new book "The Elvis Tooth."  Can't wait to put it on my bedside table.  And Shelly Frome has so many books, I don't know where to start.  At the library because my budget doesn't have a book fund at this point.




No comments:

Post a Comment

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.