Update about blog

The San Juan Mountains near Durango, along Highway 160. Yes the pole is to help plows know where the pavement edge is when it snows. I won’t be driving up there then!

Sunday, September 13, 2026

Kirtan

 Thursday evening last, I attended part of this program. 


"
Where: UUFD Sanctuary

Who: All are welcome!
Join us for a heartfelt evening of chanting and meditating, not only for inner peace but also for a world where everyone is safe and has enough. No experience needed. We’d love to welcome you! Text questions to Anna: For a taste of UU Kirtan, check out This Video..."
From the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Durango's newsletter (with links removed). Here's the YouTube version of the video.




I have enjoyed group chanting some time ago, so this wasn't new to me. 

Unfortunately my oxygen generating machine would sometimes make little beeping noises when there were moments of meditative silence. So I left early after the third chanting began. 

Anna, the leader, said she'd spent 20 years in an Ashram (didn't say which one.) I have friends who have studied many years with the Kripalu Yoga techniques, as well as my having been to several of the weekend workshops they gave in Florida. My chair yoga teacher at the Senior Center in Black Mountain has Kripalu training, but that didn't include any chanting of course!

Sanskrit words, with English meanings were printed on song sheets, but I preferred just the song and response method which was used throughout. It is definitely energizing. And I am so glad I went. I'd say I moved my energy from the low red zone up a few notches!

----------------

Another spiritual tradition offers this...



---------------

“And when great souls die, after a period peace blooms, slowly and always irregularly. Spaces fill with a kind of soothing electric vibration. Our senses, restored, never to be the same, whisper to us. They existed. They existed. We can be. Be and be better. For they existed.”
Maya Angelou

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I have been in a circle for chanting before, so this was a bit different feeling, but I did enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. I watched for a while but I had to laugh at the subtitles which did fine while she was speaking but had a very hard time with the chanting...going to party, going to party, going to party on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a hoot. Sanskrit words just don't get transcribed correctly.

      Delete

Yay comments are working now!