Update about blogCa

Who knew all this would happen afterwards! Oct 23, 2023 showing some colorful leaves around Lake Tomahawk and the old gazebo.

Monday, July 22, 2024

Politics, sigh (and religion)

 Yesterday my world tilted just a bit more.

Biden bowed out of Presidential race for 2024.

I am sure lots of pundits will have a lot to say about it.

Not sure how much I'll listen to, though. I'm feeling somewhat sick to my stomach right now as I get used to this.



 I wrote on Facebook, repeating tRump's statement to show his total disregard to this highly respected individual. 

"Just look what the opposition said:
President Trump reacted on his social media platform, Truth Social, shortly after the news broke.
"Crooked Joe Biden was not fit to run for President, and is certainly not fit to serve - And never was! He only attained the position of President by lies, Fake News, and not leaving his Basement. All those around him, including his Doctor and the Media, knew that he wasn’t capable of being President, and he wasn’t - And now, look what he’s done to our Country, with millions of people coming across our Border, totally unchecked and unvetted, many from prisons, mental institutions, and record numbers of terrorists. We will suffer greatly because of his presidency, but we will remedy the damage he has done very quickly. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!"

I said:
"This maniac (Trump) is not fit in anyway to be our president (again)! But with the crazies of politics, he has a chance. Democracy as we know it is on the line. Your vote may count this election, but be aware that a Trump presidency will take away your future votes under his autocracy."

I'm fully aware that my cousins who live out west are tRump supporters, and am willing for them to leave my friendship. Let's see who goes first from Facebook...

Other respondents to this news: (from CNN)

Israel: President Isaac Herzog thanked Biden for his “friendship and steadfast support for the Israeli people” and described him as a “true ally of the Jewish people” in a post on X.

Poland: Prime Minister Donald Tusk wrote on Xthat Biden had made difficult decisions “thanks to which Poland, America and the world are safer, and democracy stronger. I know you were driven by the same motivations when announcing your final decision. Probably the most difficult one.”

Ireland: Micheál Martin, the foreign minister of Ireland, said he heard the news “with both sadness & admiration,” describing Biden as an “abiding friend of Ireland” in a post on X. Martin said the president provided “invaluable support for peace & prosperity on this island” and wished him the best

--------------------------

And there are things that supersede politics.

Today is the feast day of Mary Magdalene. What a wonderful saint, the woman who the Catholics decided first was a prostitute, then when it seemed convenient for them, decided she was after all a disciple of Christ.



We women had known all along. The Woman with the Alabaster Jar is a book about her life. I'll defer to those who have written the truth of her history, but I do honor the single woman who devoted her life to doing good works in the name of Christ. That's what the religion was based on. Too bad so many "conservatives" have dragged the religion into politics, and vise versa.

Here's a link to my talented friend Annelinde Metzner who wrote a beautiful poem about Mary Madgalene!

Jesus and Mary in stained glass window in Scotland.

11 comments:

  1. ...I caught Firing Line on PBS yesterday, everyone should hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a stunning announcement, but as the case unfolded, it was the right one. I think he was a great president. I also think that losing MAGA-loving distant cousins is no loss at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I disagree about distant cousins...as I've just reconnected (or maybe for the first time connected) with that branch of my family. So far I read what they say, and hope some of them read what I post too.

      Delete
    2. This cousin reads what you post, Barbara, and agrees with many of the things you say. Yes, there are areas in which we disagree, but I keep in mind what my late friend Mike always used to say, "Just because something comes into your mind doesn't mean it has to come out of your mouth." I add to that "or off your fingers." I remember often what is written in the scriptures about the mother of Jesus, "But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart." So I too ponder many things but keep them in my heart. I treasure our connection, Barbara, and would be very sad to let politics or anything else break it. So I keep things in my heart lest by speaking I might somehow hurt someone else. Some things are more important to me than speaking my mind on anything.

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much Chris...I agree completely though I guess I tend to share some of my opinions more than you do. Yes, our new (old) relationship hasn't had much chance to develop yet...and I'm so guilty of giving pottery to you and not mailing it! I do wonder what's wrong with me in that. You are really precious to me and I only wish you saw life the way I do, but I think you're willing to let me be this way, and I'm willing to let you be the way you are too.

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    5. Thank you, Barbara. That means a lot. And please let go of any guilt about mailing the pottery. It'll be all right, you'll send it when the right time comes. But the true loveliness of your gift has already been received. :)
      I wish we all could allow one another to be our own way. Some years ago I came across a way of thinking called dialectic and a sort of light bulb went off. I used to be quite pedantic, convinced my opinions were the right ones. Suddenly I was able to see that, while I might be right about something, that didn't necessarily mean someone else was wrong and vice versa. I'm still learning, but I've found that asserting my own opinions upfront without listening to others shuts off any possibility of dialogue or learning. So I'm learning to listen better. Most of the time it's a matter of simply allowing different points of view to exist without necessarily trying to change anything or anyone, even though there may be times change is desirable and good. Well I'm explaining poorly but I think you know what I mean.

      Delete
  3. Biden is a great president and was able to accomplish many good things as president. I hope the Kamala and all Democrats get their act together and win this next election.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Biden did a great job. I think he made a wise decision. I don’t think any politician should be running for an office that takes him past the age of 80. This includes #45. We all decline as we age, and what I am discovering is that the decline speeds up as you get older.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.