Update about blogCa

Who knew all this would happen afterwards! Oct 23, 2023 showing some colorful leaves around Lake Tomahawk and the old gazebo.

Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Plastics - again

 One of my resources touted "Plastic Free July"


The Connection Between Plastic and Climate Change

Plastic production is a significant contributor to climate change. The process of creating plastic from fossil fuels releases significant amounts of greenhouse gases. According to the University of Colorado at Boulder, more than 300 million tons of plastic are produced worldwide each year, half of which are single-use plastics.

This figure includes water and soft drink bottles, plastic grocery bags, product packaging, straws, coffee cups, and single-use plastic bags. The production and disposal of plastics emit about 3% of global emissions, as stated by Our World in Data.

SOURCE: VoLo Foundation


Sorry, but that last statistic got me!

All of the production and disposal of plastics only emit about 3% of global emissions?


So my miniscule efforts, compared to say the plastic industry itself, are not really going to make much difference to all the greenhouse gases.

Will I stop bringing my own silverware to lunch so I don't use the single use plastic ones? Probably not. It's become a habit.

Will I stop bringing my reusable bags to the grocery store? Sometimes, cause it's hard to remember.


I will apologize to my friends that I was always promoting zero plastic use (at least single use plastics.) We live in the plastic age.


This is a disillusioned eco-feminist-elder.

Wow. 




So I've done most of the following:

Tips for Reducing Single-Use Plastic

Curbing our reliance on single-use plastics requires a shift in habits and mindset. Here are some practical tips to help you get started:

  1. Carry Reusable Bags: Always bring a reusable shopping bag when you go out. Keep a few in your car or near the door to avoid forgetting them.
  2. Ditch Plastic Bottles: Invest in a durable water bottle and fill it up before leaving the house. This not only cuts down on plastic waste but also saves money.
  3. Say No to Plastic Straws: Use metal, bamboo, or silicone straws instead of plastic ones. Many restaurants now offer these alternatives, or you can carry your own.
  4. Buy in Bulk: Purchase items in bulk to reduce packaging waste. Bring your own containers to stores offering bulk buying options.
  5. Choose Eco-Friendly Products: Opt for products made from sustainable materials. For example, use beeswax wraps instead of plastic wrap and wooden utensils instead of plastic cutlery.
  6. Support Plastic-Free Initiatives: Encourage businesses and local governments to adopt plastic-free policies. Support sustainability-focused brands.
  7. Educate and Advocate: Spread the word about the dangers of plastic pollution and the benefits of minimizing plastic use. Join or support organizations that are working to combat plastic waste.


11 comments:

  1. In the past couple of months, I too have been trying to reduce my personal use of plastics. We have returned to carry-in grocery bags, mesh bags are used for produce vs. the store plastic bags, we never use straw, and I have several metal water bottles. Additionally, I have switched to detergent sheets and dryer balls as previously posted about and both are working very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe how much easier it is to use those detergent sheets! Good to know you all have some great actions going.

      Delete
  2. Well said. We take reusable boxes shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that, as I hate breaking down boxes for recycling.

      Delete
  3. Of course it's not only greenhouse gases that we have to contend with, the amount of plastic which ends up in the sea is also a serious problem. Though I do sometimes get the feeling that issues like plastic drinking straws are only used to mask the real problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very important to consider. This article is focused too much on one area. There's a whole earth's worth of trouble out there!

      Delete
  4. We do use the reusable bags for shopping. It is sad to see all the plastic items that end up on the side of the road and in the ocean. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Every time we keep some plastic from going in the landfill, I think that's where it counts somehow. It just doesn't break down very well at all.

      Delete
  5. Hi Barbara, We're back from a family visit trip to St. Louis MO and Omaha NE... Now I'm trying to catch up! While the emissions from plastic aren't horrid, the litter and refuse is. We are all consuming micro plastics daily as are many animals, especially fish and other sea dwelling creatures. We avoid plastics where reasonable, shop with reusable bags and recycle/reuse any plastic shopping bags we end up with. I strongly dislike the ads by the plastic council where they talk about their recycling efforts...which are pretty much non-existent. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. We always have our backpacks for shopping since decades and my colleagues "laughed" about me when I always brought my own containers to the restaurant cause I can only eat half and take the rest home.
    Coffee to go I´ll never understand, but I have my own mug for in case - it is SO EASY to avoid plastic!!!
    But when I see young people buying the plastic bags over and over again...
    I think it´s us old folks who understand and the "next generation" seems to fail despite "Fridays for Future" (what happened to them, never heard anything again)...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the biggest problem with plastics is disposing of them. Recycling efforts have not helped much, and many of the recycled products just make the plastic into smaller pieces that wind up as micro plastics in water. Every time you launder polyester/nylon/spandex, micro plastics flow into the water.

    I have to wash my reusable bags and some of them contain micro plastics. My town doesn’t pick up recycling because nobody bid on it, so I have to drive to the recycling center every week, using gas, etc. I don’t know why people say it is easy to avoid plastic. It is almost impossible. Sure you can avoid plastic bags, but almost everything in the grocery store is wrapped in plastic. I enjoyed frozen vegetables when they came in waxed cardboard boxes, but those are long gone, and now they come in plastic, which I think ruins the taste. And I’ve written about our tapwater before. The town admits it is over the EPA limit on two chemicals. Guess what water filters are made of? Plastic of course. Several pounds of it, and they only last a week before getting clogged and sour. I’m not sure there’s any point in worrying about it because we have already polluted the environment past the tipping point.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.