Update about blogCa

Who knew all this would happen afterwards! Sept. 20, 2024 10:45 am. Fog had finally started to burn off. New gazebo and Lakeview Senior Center at Lake Tomahawk, Black Mountain NC

Tuesday, May 28, 2024

My oldest turns 60

 Wow. Who would ever have considered I'd be sitting here 60 years later talking about my son Marty! I seem to have a post for his birthday most years.

But I like seeing these old photos from this post Younger than me Lovers...

------------

And here's the story of his birth from my perspective, as I wrote it when he turned 50.

Fifty years ago today I gave birth to my first son.

Barbara expecting, near upstairs apartment in background in Corpus Christi, Texas


It was horrible...though I'd definitely been looking forward to the experience.  Horror was being in a Naval Air Station hospital, without anyone near me who I knew.  It included being among a huge number of women also in labor, such that I was on a gurney in a dark hallway alone much of the time.  I had my first ever enema experience, and didn't know that I should have waited in the bathroom longer, so ended up wallowing out of the gurney with sides raised and not getting back to the toilet in time.  Major apologies to the young male aide who mopped for me.  Remember NAS meant everyone around me was in the Navy.


Then I was given drugs.  I had never had any drugs, even aspirin, in my whole life.  Well, maybe in my year since leaving home, I'd tried aspirin at least.  But I didn't have any idea what was happening.  At some point I was shaved down there.  My young Coast Guard husband was somewhere else, and I had relied upon him since we married, almost entirely.

Doug, Corpus Christi, Texas


Labor was intense enough that I was in that hallway around 4 pm.  I honestly didn't see or hear anything until being asked to move to the delivery table a bit past midnight.  I saw the clock on the wall.  That was what their drugs did to me.  Maybe I endured a lot of pain, or maybe I was the one shouting as I didn't endure labor.  I knew the next day I was hoarse, and people around me said I was the one screaming.  I do remember complaining to the doctors asking me to get on the delivery table "but you're making me sit on my baby's head."

I lay back, raised my feet as commanded into the stirrups, and looked for a mirroring surface so I might see the baby emerge.  Good thing I couldn't find one, because they had to use forceps.  This left a little bump on the side of my precious little one's head for the first week of his life.  They did tell me it would go away.  And it did.

I also remember I had what was called a saddle block.  (Boy the horsemen sure were with me that night, stirrups, saddle block!)  So when the doctor said now is time to push, I laughed and asked how...I could no longer feel a thing.  If I wasn't giddy with the drugs I'm sure I could have figured it out.

Little Marty

I remember having my pre-natal checkups in the same hospital.  We pregnant women would all line up and receive our little cups for urine samples, which we took turns depositing in the one bathroom.  I now wonder exactly what they were looking for in our pee.  I guess something might have been evident if it was wrong.  Then we'd undress and be draped, on a table with only curtains separating us from the next woman.  We'd be probed, measured, and baby's heart listened to.  And that was it, for months on end, then every week.


I attended the New Baby wellness class that was a few sessions showing photos and telling the stages of birth. None of that made a bit of sense when I was experiencing birth though.

So fifty years ago, I finally had my baby.  A few days in the hospital, and my parents and sister visited when we went home...they lived half a continent away.  Other cousins and Great Aunts came also to visit.  I felt like such a queen, having given birth and having a healthy child.  My dear husband was on leave for a few days, then went back on his cutter.

Grandmother giving Marty soothing lullaby
First grandchild for both sides of the families



Sure it took 2 or more adults to give that little squirming guy a bath!

And into the bliss of first time young motherhood came the disaster. 

---------

I can't find any old posting about the surgery my 4 week old son had to have. Pyloric stenosis was the diagnosis. At the time he became severely ill, unable to keep any milk down, my husband was away doing his Coast Guard work at sea.

So I went first to the NAS hospital, where the doctor said throwing up some milk was normal.

But within days he was projectile vomiting all his feeding, and then of course crying from hunger again. I nursed him all the time, then went to the yellow pages to see a pediatrician off base. She lovingly told me about his little valve having closed from his stomach, so his feeding never went down to his gut. She said I needed him to have surgery, which would be costly unless I went through NAS.

So I did. And I believe my mother was still there, and maybe my husband returned about the time Marty was checked in for the surgery. My Christian Science mother was not advising us at all, being against medical treatment. I'm glad she was praying, but she was not a warm and supportive person.

And part of this experience is fogged in my memory by 1) having breast infections from having been feeding him over and over thus producing a large amount of milk which I didn't know to expel any other way since no one seemed to bother about a mother and 2) missing this little one who, when I visited him in the hospital following surgery, was weighted down by restraining blocks to keep him from touching his scar, and he had various i.v. lines into his ankles. It was an alien sight to behold, and very upsetting. 

My husband never said how he felt, but I relied upon him for my support. I ended up in (public not NAS) ER due to my breast infections. A male doctor gave me instructions to put ice on my poor sore breasts. They didn't mention putting ice in towels, but said to use a water-bottle type thing, which we purchased. I didn't try that for long, however. They never said to use a breast pump. It was like dealing with people who I later realized were completely uneducated to my needs.

I was definitely feverish, and when my son was released from the hospital, I had to give him bottles, since that's how he'd been fed for 4 days. So I learned that whole process.

Our little family left Corpus Christi TX after my husband was finished with his Coast Guard duty, and we moved to Connecticut, where his parents lived. They doted upon little Marty! It was another experience to get to know in-laws, but that's not Marty's story, but my own.

----------------------
For today, I'm proud of his growth, his love in his family, his sense of humor, his sense of responsibility, and his incredible intelligence.  Happiest of birth anniversaries, Marty!


14 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Marty! Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an experience. Our first was too but nothing like yours. for sure. Congrats to both you and Marty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memories like these will never leave us. You certainly had a rough time. Happy birthday though, 60 years later, to son and mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a rude awakening to medical care, from never having had any. I didn't know any way to evaluate good from bad care either. So glad we survived!

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry you had such an awful experience...and how smart of you to get outside advice.
    My son at 52 reminds me how fortunate I was in my own experience.
    We all managed to muddle through despite the circumstances.........smartcat/suzi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think young mothers do muddle through a lot. Just remembering all those sleepless nights that every young parent goes through while the little one starts to get used to eating and so forth. It's awesome.

      Delete
  5. Your story is a reflection on how poorly women were treated by medics focused on men. Gald both of you made it through that horror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must wonder why so many women were in labor that afternoon/night. Marty wasn't due till June 4, so he was a week early, but certainly full size.

      Delete
  6. You are a survivor. We have learned so much in the years since. My elder two granddaughters, one born with the help of midwives, one born at home, with 2 midwives and a midwife student.
    My middle child was 10 1/2 lbs. and he just took hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the time I had my third son in 79, I considered natural childbirth, but having had a C-section emergency birth of son #2, they frowned upon it. But I was given so much more support in private hospitals than that horrible NAS hospital in Corpus Christi in 1964. I had a good friend, a nurse midwife with a PhD. in the 90s, who moved from Knoxville TN, to Indiana to teach nursing midwifery at Ball State U. I think women regaining a bit of power over their bodies has begun...though the 2nd anniversary of the death of Roe v. Wade is coming June 24. It isn't going to continue, I have high hopes.

      Delete
    2. Oh I thought a 9 lb. 4 oz. guy (the last one) had been big. Kudos for you giving birth to your little football player!

      Delete
  7. What a scary, happy, scary, happy story of your life!
    Sad the personnel were not educated to help you properly and that your Hubby wasn´t there for support.
    But so nice it came out all good in the end, happy Birthday to your Son!
    Ingo wanted kids but reading this ... huhhhh... scary. Glad I said no (for other reasons than the expected pain).

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.