Update about blogCa

Who knew all this would happen afterwards! Sept. 20, 2024 10:45 am. Fog had finally started to burn off. New gazebo and Lakeview Senior Center at Lake Tomahawk, Black Mountain NC

Friday, May 17, 2024

Family women and some old (and new) cars

 I've run into some interesting, mostly historic sites and photos this week.

Sharing with Sepia Saturday!


Two of my favorite subjects: women and cars!


French Automobile called the Leyit Helica...produced in the Early 1920’s. Yes, propellers out front to pull it along! Beware of birds!


A Tesla in the family...my daughter-in-law's step father, Gerry standing next to it! Wish I'd had a chance to ride in it, but no offers came my way.


Corvette parked in neighbor's yard. Don't know much about it except it is just sitting in the weather.



You may have seen my post about this sleek Oldsmobile parked at the entrance to the swimming pool at Lake Tomahawk earlier this week.

Being a fellow craftsman, I enjoy seeing the product of many hours of attention to this vehicle.

Seen in the neighborhood of Ohio State University


But what about the women?



I never met this lovely woman on the r., mother of one of my daughters-in-law and her sister. Photo of mother probably in the 1950s. Daughter-in-law on the left has many of her same characteristics, an elegant woman with deep beauty.

Sister of my daughter-in-law.

My oldest son and his wife, daughter of first mother pictured above. She is a chef extraordinaire! Holding a cranberry cheesecake as desert, with candied frozen cranberries around. That was after a great prime rib dinner for Christmas, 2019. She has since become a Macaron chef, selling her inspired home-made cookies at various fairs in St. Petersburg and Tampa, FL.

Here I was eating my first Macaron by my daughter-in-law.

Another daughter-in-law, married to my youngest son...here they were Halloween costumed as Dali and Frieda Kahlo.

And my exact match to Sepia's theme this week...(though I may have shared it before!)


1927, my Grand-Aunt Margaret and her friend, Mrs.Summess. (Is that a name?) Aunt Margaret on r. And it does look like Mrs. S. has a dog on her chest!


Grand-Aunt Margaret. Considering she taught high school all her adult life, as well as sewing many of her own clothes, she enjoyed life by gambling in Cuba before the revolution.



Another daughter-in-law (on r.) with my granddaughter (much younger than present) in the middle. And another grandmother in common, mother of that daughter-in-law on the l. They shared a trip to New York city (not sure when). This was my oldest son's first wife, and mother of two of his children. Aren't families fun?

My oldest granddaughter wearing the cloisonné enamel necklace which I gave to her for Christmas last year. (I'm giving my granddaughters my various special pieces of costume jewelry, little by little.)

And I'm kicking myself because I never took any photos of the locket (called a charm by my other granddaughter) which I gave to her for her college graduation. My grandmother had given it to me for my high school graduation, just before she died. This granddaughter has just spent 2 weeks in Europe. So I'll try to get her to take a photo of it soon.

My other daughter-in-law is married to my middle son, who I just visited in Ohio for that graduation! 


Granddaughter, daughter-in-law, and my middle son at graduation party.


I love sharing being grandmothers with this lady, my daughter-in-laws' mother. Yes, there are many other relations in my family. But this is all I'm sharing today!


Today's quote:

"To succeed in science, you have to avoid dumb people [...] you must always turn to people who are brighter than yourself." - biophysicist, James Dewey Watson



P.S.
Earlier this week I posted an article from a former slave, William Branch. After seeing many other posts by the author on Facebook, I've concluded that it is a true account of his life. The author is Evita Ellis. There are many other interesting stories she's posted. So I don't think AI was the source.



14 comments:

  1. ...Hound Dog cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were stopped in traffic, and I was sitting on the right side of the car, so snap - iPhone photo to the rescue! There ain't nothing like a hound dog..."

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed seeing the vintage autos, aside from the Tesla, which of course is new. Like yourself, Barbara, I've never ridden in one or even known anyone who owned one. Thanks for sharing the photos of all the lovely ladies in your family. It's always enjoyable to see the special people in fellow blogger's lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beatrice! I also have never ridden in several others of those cars...but a Corvette a few times!

      Delete
  3. I'd say that's another fine hodge podge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barbara, Regarding old cars... My first car was a 1956 red and white 4-door Oldsmobile. At one point I was stuck with "dragging the Ave" in my mother's baby blue Ford Falcon. My first car after being married was a 1965 Mustang...but the car I really enjoyed was my big black over maroon Mercury Monterrey with a supercharged V-8 engine. I still remember cruising across Nevada (no speed limit back then) at over 100 mph while my wife slept. Love the old cars! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great that you have nostalgia about your early cars. What fun.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful old cars, and beautiful pix of the women in your family. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos. I particularly like this French vehicles.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, so glad you included your name. Might have tossed your comment otherwise!!

      Delete
  7. Bravo! This was a trifecta of posts with cars, women, and family photos too. But why do I wish I had a box of macarons now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I sometimes feel the same...macarons from St. Pete FL don't ship that well...takes dry ice I've heard. So I just dream.

      Delete
  8. The Corvette photo sparked a memory for me as my folks used to have a Corvair (the less sporty model) that I drove during summers home from college. I'd forgotten what fun it was, with the engine in the back, if I remember correctly. These are great car and family photos. Love Dali and Freida costumes -- excellent renditions. A shame you didn't get a ride in the Tesla -- I hear they are a dream.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.