Update about blogCa

Who knew all this would happen afterwards! My family on my 70th birthday

Thursday, May 2, 2024

Going along the way

Busy day today. Early Physical Therapy session.

Change of plans for my approach to walking stairs in the stadium for graduating granddaughter. My collapsible walking stick won't fit in carry on luggage. And I'm sure not going to walk with it through two airports. My hiking there will be slow and steady with a carry on suitcase on wheels.

So I will depend upon one of my sons to be at hand, to literally lean on.

Lean on me... that's the song from way back then...you've got a friend...

I just read an interesting poem about traveling.

Wanderer, your footsteps are the road,
and nothing more;
Wanderer, there is no road.
The road is made by walking...

By walking one makes the road,
and upon glancing behind
one sees the path that will
never be trod again...

Wanderer, there is no road -
only wakes upon the sea..."

Antonio Machado

My own approach was that this adventure would be like a safari - maybe with wild animals and terrain that is perhaps lovely...I'll keep an eye out for any beauty. And standing in line is designed to be tree meditation. On two feet of course!

So after I figure out what vegetables/fruits will definitely go bad, and make a bag of the ones that my friend might eat...I'll toss one bag in the trash can outside, and give her the other when she picks me up to go to the airport at noon.

I'll try to eat the last banana, and the baked potato that's left over from a lunch earlier in the week. 

And I must remember to unplug the computer and TV surge protectors. I came home from a trip one year to find my lap top fried, even though it had been on a surge protector...but lightening struck somewhere nearby. 

Would you believe I don't have enough in my suitcase so it will probably rattle around? That's because 4 changes of clothes don't really take up much room...and I've used this suitcase for a week's worth of winter wear. It's an easy over head type with handle and wheels. And of course a bag with cross body strap will hold everything else. I will look beseeching and hope a gentleman nearby will put it up in the overhead bin.

So my son called last night and suggested I bring an old lap top that I'm not using because his daughter who's a Jr. in high school just fried hers. The old laptop that I have only works when plugged in, and has a cord which doesn't work...so we may need to find an Apple store with this kind of cord (a little magnet connects the wire to it, and that's the place where the cord has died.) But it will add 3 pounds to the carry on suitcase. But maybe fill up some space!

I'm on my way...


Autochrome colour photo by French photographer Lèon Gimple taken at the 1909 Grand Exhibition in Paris.

Today's quote:
Isak Dinesen (Karen Blixen) wrote, "Truth is for tailors and shoemakers. ... I, on the contrary, have always held that the Lord has a penchant for masquerades." 

PS.
I am not sure I can make comments since I'll only have a iPad to read blogs with...so I can read yours, but I haven't been able to get blogger to believe I am the google person I am.


6 comments:

  1. Bon voyage. I hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...I hope that you will have a successful trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I'll be seeing you...in all the old familiar post!

      Delete
  3. Regarding airports..When my sister could no longer walk long distances she requested wheelchair assistance. It kept her from being exhausted by the time she boarded. It's something to think about.
    Bon voyage! Suzi/smartcat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have requested wheel chair assistance. When I check in I will find out if it's available. So far I've only been offered a ride from the gate into the plane.

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.