Update about blogCa

Monday, March 13, 2023

Frida Kahlo - Women's History Month - 13

 Frida Kahlo

 “I used to think I was the strangest person in the world but then I thought there are so many people in the world, there must be someone just like me who feels bizarre and flawed in the same ways I do. I would imagine her, and imagine that she must be out there thinking of me too. Well, I hope that if you are out there and read this and know that, yes, it's true I'm here, and I'm just as strange as you.”

Frida Kahlo - Xochimilco,Mexico City (1936).



Frida Kahlo, photographed (below) in 1944 by American photographer, Sylvia Salmi (1909-1977). Sylvia Ester Salmi was a prominent and highly respected American photographer who, during the 1930s and 1940s, took portraits of numerous great artists and intellectuals of the time, including Bertrand Russell, Albert Einstein and, in Mexico, Diego Rivera, Frida Kahlo, José Clemente Orozco and Leon Trotsky.


Britannica says this:
Frida Kahlo de Rivera, original name Magdalena Carmen Frieda Kahlo y Calderón, (born July 6, 1907, Coyoacán, Mexico—died July 13, 1954, Coyoacán), Mexican painter best known for her uncompromising and brilliantly coloured self-portraits that deal with such themes as identity, the human body, and death. 

In addition to her work, Kahlo was known for her tumultuous relationship with muralist Diego Rivera (married 1929, divorced 1939, remarried 1940).

In 1925 Kahlo was involved in a bus accident, which so seriously injured her that she had to undergo more than 30 medical operations in her lifetime. During her slow recovery, Kahlo taught herself to paint, and she read frequently, studying the art of the Old Masters. 

She was considered a surrealist.

Frida Kahlo, the communist

"The Two Fridas "

A mural of Frida in Bali






4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. She's quite popular with our hispanic community, as well as my favorite Mexican Food restaurant.

      Delete
  2. I have a couple of Frida murals coming up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to know more...do you post them, paint them...what what?

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.