Update about blogCa

Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Sekmet goddess of Egypt, Karnak temple, Women's history month 14

 Translation of the text written in gold at the entrance to the temple of the Egyptian goddess Sekhmet, Karnak temple.

""I only ask you to enter my house with respect. To serve you I do not need your devotion, but your sincerity. Neither your beliefs, but your thirst for knowledge. Enter with your vices, your fears and your hatreds; from the greatest to the smaller ones, I can help you dissolve them. You can look at me and love me as a female, as a mother, as a daughter, as a sister, as a friend, but never look at me as an authority above yourself. If the devotion you have for any god , It is greater than the one you have for the God that is within you, you offend them both and you offend the ONE."



6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. That's why I included her...pretty new to me too. But I did like the quote from the inscriptions with the sculpture.

      Delete
  2. Known to me, but I have an interest in the subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you would give more information about her! I didn't look into the stories or history of Sekmet. I would like to know more!

      Delete
  3. Barbara, You are really sticking with your commitment to feature important women all this month! Of course, Joan Baez is of my generation...and I like the fact that she's older than I am. She looks better than I do for our age group... Of course, I knew about Frida Kahlo...the movie with Salma Hayek gave a lot of background. I didn't know about Dorothy Pitman...and thanks to you, now I do! As for Sekhmet, as per Wikipedia she "Sekhmet was the daughter of the sun god, Ra, and was among the more important of the goddesses who acted as the vengeful manifestation of Ra's power, the Eye of Ra. Sekhmet was said to breathe fire, and the hot winds of the desert were likened to her breath." There is a lot more on line. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks David...that's interesting information about her story. Sorry I didn't have time to look further. Some days are just like that. I'm sure you know.

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.