Update about blogCa

Thursday, April 25, 2024

Musings today

 I'm a reader. I'm currently listening to a book as an audio recording...49 hours long. But I've already got 10 hours under my belt. Hope I can renew it from the library when my 13 day check-out period expires!

What's this long book? The latest (I think) in the Outlander series by Diana Galbadon. "Go Tell the Bees that I am Gone." The first 10 hours have been interesting, catching me up on events that I hadn't read about. It mainly takes place in the wilderness of the North Carolina mountains at the time of the American Revolution. I wonder what the volume before this one was. I have read all the long heavy books that came before, either in order, or close enough whenever they were available at the library. That must have started 15 years or so ago.

So yes, I may have re-read a few of them. Then there were 5 seasons of TV shows of the Outlander series, on Prime streaming TV. I kept waiting for another season, because these only covered up till they came to North Carolina. There is time travel, and Scotland and its citizens, and some French characters as well. English and Americans are in there too.

OK, that's my book report for the day.




I've noticed that I only capture and share sayings that have to do with my life. Whenever they are talking about raising the next generation...like parenting tips...I skip over them.

When I raised my first son my instruction manual was Dr. Benjamin Spock's book, "Baby and Childcare." I was new at relying upon medical doctors and drugs, so I learned how they could help, and when they couldn't.  And of course doing things by the seat of my pants, as they say. Later I was glad to have other parents as friends who went through similar things that we did. But I didn't rely upon my own family of relations to give me answers. I am sorry now that I did things so "independently" as I'm sure I could have learned a lot from my parents and in-laws. But we had limits on our relationships, as to what I would accept of their "advice."  Part of that was their religious attitude against using doctors.

All of these thoughts were triggered by a saying on Facebook ...


Now I don't give any of my children or grandchildren advice. I support each of them in their own chosen paths. And I listen if they wish to share their problems sometimes. That doesn't happen often, since we communicate through distances. Thank heavens for texting, emails, facetime, and 'no-extra-charge' long distance calls! 

So I am what I am. And very thrilled with plans to see some family members soon. More about that later.


Today's quote:







12 comments:

  1. I do listen to some books and don't mind it, principally the Cormoron Strike series. Sue mostly listens rather than reads, so there are many audio books available to me if I so choose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, now I'll have to check out Cormoron Strike. Hopefully that's the author's name. If not, maybe my library will know about them.

      Delete
  2. "Life is what happens while you're making plans" John Lennon or maybe someone earlier......suzi/smartcat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post and wonderful quotes! I try not to be too judgemental (and just listen) with my adult children, but I find it hard not to give advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure can be hard to bite one's tongue when we parents have ideas that might help our adult children.

      Delete
  4. I am no good listening to books! I ditz out and lose the plot.
    I accidentally read the last Outlander book. I didn't realize it was a series. How silly am I?! It was a long read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started listening to audio books when I had an hour's drive each way to work. And they were also helpful while driving long distances. Now it is easier than holding a huge volume. Goodness, there were lots of explanations of relationships in this last book, so you probably didn't need to read all the others unless you wanted to!

      Delete
  5. Yes, life is amazing. I am borrowing your weird light image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I borrowed it from the internet. Fun use of someone else's ideas.

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.