Update about blogCa

Thursday, April 4, 2024

A crazy old woman

Not helping the blood pressure along...

So today I'm feeling lack of energy to do anything, a bit light headed actually.

But I check my bank account on line, as a regular task as part of my digital life. And there's a charge for the local paper (Asheville Citizen-Times). I no longer take that paper as a digital daily news in my email in-box.

I haven't taken it for a year.

So I start trying to find a way to contact someone. Fortunately there's an 800 number.

We go along through a menu which can't understand my answers, and the representative I eventually get to talk with says she sees a big gap from my last payment a year ago and the one they are automatically taking from my checking account today.

After some research she sees that I did cancel that subscription. But she says in October last year, I signed up for a special deal $1 for six months and then $21.39 per month.

Nope, I say. I haven't received any Citizen-Times for a whole year. I never signed up again. 

After I hung up I scanned each debit from my account and did find their $1.07 deduction. But why didn't I ever get confirmation or any newspapers in my in-box?

I ask politely for a refund for a subscription which I never have received. I don't care about the $1, but the $21.39 would really be nice!

No, she cannot do that.

I do check that she has the right email address. And I look in my spam folder, nothing has been received from them, ever!

I ask about a half dozen times to talk with her supervisor. She advises me that her supervisor will tell me the same thing.

I have my blood pressure boiling by now!

How can a local organization do this to an 81 year old woman who just had no idea what they were up to, until they took her money for nothing?

I just hung up, thanks for nothing! 

And am writing an editorial, which of course won't get printed.

But maybe my high blood pressure is just spouting off. 

No longer the customer is right, that's for sure.



12 comments:

  1. Put something on your local FB page?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send an actual snail mail letter to the company?

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I was going to copy the editorial to the FB page, but lost my Copy/Paste thingie while typing the blog. Some days I should never get out of bed.

      Delete
  2. They are sneaky, sorry their customer service sounds awful. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the whole idea of the 6 months special is to catch that first full payment when people are unaware. If I HAD subscribed again, I would have set a reminder for myself to cancel before the date they'd start the full payments. But I was blindsided.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. But your camera is digital, and you work on blogger several times a day. I consider that digital dudism!

      Delete
  4. Deep breath and don't let anybody fob you off. If we complain only inside our own echo chamber, things will get worse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Contact your bank and have them deal with it as an unauthorized deduction. suzi/smartcat

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a shame. Times sure have changed. Goode for you for trying to fight. Some days you just have to let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would be mad as well, Barbara, and also stubborn enough to call back and try to speak to someone else, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Barbara, Life can be very frustrating and dealing with people over the phone on cancelations or service issues can be and frequently are, maddening. So many on-line or publication subscriptions are confusing and hard to cancel...if we even remember we had them. When my mother passed, she had magazine subscriptions running 3 or more years beyond her death... Charitable contributions were a similar problem to shut off. Crazy impersonal world that we live in! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.