Update about blogCa

Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Good influence

 To avoid single use plastic...I've been taking my own utensils to the lunch program, as well as a cloth napkin and a mug or cup...which also relieves the use of a straw or a styrofoam cup.

And several others have started to do the same!


Yipee! A small step for our huge problem of plastics.

In case you may have forgotten, each person consumes micro-plastics in our air, water and food, to the extent that each week we consume a credit cards' worth of micro-plastics...the tiny bits that are microscopic from all the plastic in our lives today. Think of the fake soft fabric that is actually made of plastic fibers...it's the worst I can think of.

I'm still hoping that shopping bags at grocery stores can be eliminated, and many people are carrying their own shopping bags with them now.

Yes, it's just a drop in a huge bucket. But having made the effort, rather than thumbing my nose at the problem because it is so huge, I have made a dent. Perhaps enough to equal a credit card's worth.

Today's quote:

In the middle of every difficulty lies an opportunity.

MATEO ASKARIPOUR

10 comments:

  1. You certainly do your part! Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's much easier to just do what I believe is right, than to quote all the pundits as to statistics.

      Delete
  2. ...all of this takes planning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, before I go out the door to the lunch program (about 2 miles down the road) I pack a clean cup, napkin, and 3 utensils into my purse. I sometimes also include a tupperware tub so I can bring home things I don't want to eat that day at lunch.

      Delete
  3. It is a good thing that you do. As I've said before, one-use bags are gone here. I seldom forget to bring my own bags anymore. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done. It is such a problem. They are inventing plastic picker uppers for harbours. I think Hamilton, Ontario, has one. It's such a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great idea, Barbara, and one way to reduce waste of recyclables. The grocery stores here do still use plastic bags. When we get groceries in them, we recycle these bags as garbage bags as living in an apt, a compost pile is not possible. We did, however, have one at our former VA home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are we willing to wear plastic-free clothes? No polyester, no spandex, no nylon… you and I could probably adapt because we remember wearing mostly cotton and wool when we were kids, although we did have some nylon. We had rayon but it biodegrades because it is made from wood pulp, so it’s not microplastic. Now it’s made from bamboo and called viscose, Tencel, etc.

    If washable shopping bags are polyester, you’re not solving the problem, but it’s hard to find shopping bags that are made from cotton.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, I just saw this! https://www.sciencealert.com/plastic-found-inside-more-than-50-of-plaques-from-clogged-arteries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a big wow. I have a dear friend who's very interested in living as plastic-free as possible, and seeing her grandchildren raised without much plastic. She made a list of companies who use sustainable products. I'll post it again soon.

      Delete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.