Update about blogCa

Thursday, May 9, 2019

Getting over the Anti-Vaccination life

I was raised in Christian Science, where the belief is that the same power that Jesus used to heal is available through prayer today.  So until I was a young adult and left home at 21, (in 1963) I never had any medical treatment, nor saw a doctor.


I received a smallpox vaccination at about 5 years old, in public school in Houston, (in 1947-9). My mother was terrified, and I was given a lollypop. But within a few years we moved to St. Louis where I and my sister would attend Principia, a Christian Science school (kindergarten through college) where no vaccinations were required.  There were sometimes epidemics that happened after I left the college, and I heard that several students died.

At 21 I became a Flight Attendant in my first job away from home.  Then I got all the vaccinations needed to go overseas.  No polio vaccine was available for the job. And I was no longer a Christian Scientist either.

I got my children vaccinated, though measles, mumps and chicken pox weren't available as vaccines yet...so they suffered through them.  And when they received the polio vaccines, apparently I was exposed to the virus when bathing them. I found out later.  So none of us caught it.

Recently I realized I haven't yet healed from my own surviving of this childhood.  Who knew.  I'm going to be doing some therapeutic work to embrace that little girl that I carry around within me, who cried from infections, coughed through colds and allergies, had fevers without aspirin, lost my tonsils to a fever rather than a surgeon, and lived without antibiotics until I was past 20.

So I just wanted to share this is my burden that I'm healing from.  All the wonderful inspirational quotes that I read, the alternative health practices that I sometimes share, come from my perspective as an adult. I have the choice to live my life with responsibility, joy, love, anger toward injustice, compassion, and good health.  Yes, I believe healing comes from a positive attitude, as well as the use of scientific discoveries like medicine and vaccines.  I am still angry toward parents who abuse their children's health and safety by not using available medical practices.  It's the children who suffer most.

Sharing this with 52 Ancestors on Facebook Group  "Generations Cafe  ..topic is nurturing.  I'm sure my parents were loving and nurturing, but their faith was their choice...mine is different.

Join  Amy Johnson's Crow's Facebook Group  "Generations Cafe 
 to read posts from other bloggers taking part in
 the 2019  "52 Ancestors" Challenges 

5 comments:

  1. I just noticed a glaring error...first paragraph says I never saw a doctor till I left home, but that must have been a doc who vaccinated me for small pox (or a nurse perhaps.) That was the only time I'm pretty sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving parents can and do make mistakes. Thanks for sharing your story. I hope this post is widely read and heeded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this story of your childhood. It's so interesting how we're living in a time now where some people don't want to get their kids vaccinated anymore. I'm so surprised by all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I wonder if we ever fully heal from some things...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know many folks have had more difficult childhoods...and I sure don't want you to think any less of their struggles. For me I seem to cycle around to feeling some of the shame and hurt about once a year still. Fortunately I'm surrounded by supportive and understanding people now. The friends I now have, have become my family.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.