Update about blogCa

Saturday, October 13, 2018

Plein Air painting


En pleine air

 Yes there's a fence between calf and woman with camera!


 
H. talks with visitors about his Monet color scheme for his house and gardens, while photographer captures cows in the background.

Ann is the first artist I've seen who uses an orange wash under her paint, which was oil.  Her style is slightly impressionistic.


Plein-Air Artist, Ann Devane at H's home for Art in Bloom June 15, 2013

a repost from 2013...


Thanks for Sepia Saturday's prompt this week...a really vintage plein air artist!
Come on over and see what others have come up with HERE...hopefully some more vintage photos!  My series of photos are just 5 years old, and have a cow rather than a horse/pony.


6 comments:

  1. Great post. It makes me want to try my hand at plain air painting after winter's over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep thinking I'll do this again...but my motivation is pretty low still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a magazine I bought about plein air painting and would like to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never heard of the term 'plein air painting' before. Was the term in common use back when Monet and Sargent were sketching and painting outdoors? Love the use of the mailbox as a make-do-at-the-moment easel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suppose the biggest struggle artists today face is the competition from smart phone cameras. And then even their art can get photographed too! I just read a fantastic book on Claude Monet entitled "Mad Enchantment: Claude Monet and the Painting of the Water Lilies" by Ross King. He's a wonderful writer on art history and I think this is his best work. It's all about Monet's last grand paintings of his garden pond in Giverny when he was in his 80s during WW1.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a great sounding book! I'll keep an eye out for it, Mike. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.