Update about blogCa

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Joseph Swasey, Sr.


Grandfather of Alexander G. Swasey, Sr., Joseph Swasey, Sr. was baptised 12 August 1714 in Boston, Middlesex, Massachusetts, United States,
As long as I'm in the nautical area, might as well continue looking at this branch of the family.


"Death  before 1801 in Somerset, Bristol, Massachusetts, United States, Joseph Swasey, shipwright, Bapt. in Boston, Mass. Aug. 12, 1714; died in Somerset, Suffolk County, Mass; bef. 1801; married, daughter of Jonathan & Ann Sylvester Bowers, of Swansea, Mass. She was of Spanish descent.  Feb. 20, 1790, Shewamit (or Somerset) was set off from Swansea & formed a separate town.  Joseph, removed with his family to Salem, where he lived until 1749.  He followed there the trade of hatter.  In that year he bought Swansea of John Palmer, 10 acres of land on Taunton River for which he paid ~1300 O.T.
He put up a set of buildings, including a hat shop, built a wharf & engaged in shipbuilding, floating his craft down to Fall River.  The dwelling house occupied by the family for 3 generations was taken down several years ago.  The old cellar & the broad stone step still remain to mark the site.  The "Swasey burying ground" occupied about an acre of the original lot, upon which are many tombstones that mark the resting place of his descendants.
In 1758-9, he was a private in his Majesty's service from the Province of Massachusetts, in Capt. Stephen Whipple's Co;  Col. Jonathan Bagley's Regt; for the reduction of Canada.  In 1801, his estate was divided among his heirs which included the widow, sons Jerathmel & Joseph heirs of his son Samuel, & daughter Hannah.
(Source, including photo: Geneology of the Swasey Family, 1910 by Benjamin Swasey an ebook that is available on line)

His son, Jerathmel Bowers Swasey, was born and died (1752-1826) in Somerset, MA, probably in the house that now stands at 323 Main St.  I don't know the status of the Swasey burying ground, however.  Jerathmel Bowers Swasey is my second great grandfather, father of Alexander G. Swasey, Sr.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Barbara.

    My name is Monica Bessette. I have been researching the Swasey family for many years because of their relationship to early American Doll Maker, Izannah F. Walker.

    Are you a descendant of Alexander G. Swasey? If yes, how? I have been corresponding with a lady in California named Linda Clark, who is also a descendant of Alexander's daughter Ruth. Ruth Ann Swasey married William James in Newport, RI. Linda is a descendant of that match.

    Please get in touch with me if you are interested in any info I could provide. my email is monica.bessette@gmail.com or call me at 717-752-9090. I currently live in Gettysburg, PA, but I spent most of my life in RI and MA.

    Hope to hear from you.

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment on my post. I continue to look into my ancestors, and update my blog as new information comes available. I'm so sorry not to have answered your comment all this time, as blogger never sent it to me (as it used to do once) so I could moderate it and post it to the blog. I'll be looking into your questions in the near future. Barb Rogers

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.