Update about blogCa

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Cousins Rogers

I share a few pics of some of my cousins who I hadn't seen or talked with until recently. Amazingly enough, they even remember this visit, and that I snored!  Oh dear, but I had terrible sinus problems after leaving Texas.  What a legacy!

Uncle Jimmy and Aunt Dottie lived in Wisconsin (in the 50s) and had 2 daughters at that time.
We lived in St. Louis, MO, and took a trip once to visit my dad's brother and his family.  Thanksgiving 1953.


(l to r) Uncle Jimmy carrying his daughter, Chris, Barbara (me), Mataley (my mother, in back), my cousin Pat, Aunt Dottie and my sis, Mary Beth
Uncle Jimmy, Barbara and cousin Chris showing her sweet face.
Barbara and Mary Beth in warm coats for winter
Christina and Patricia (earlier pictures)

George (my father in white hat) Aunt Dottie and Uncle Jimmy holding Chris, Patricia, me with eyes closed, and Mary Beth (in front)
This Studebaker, behind the group, is a Landcruiser...very modern for the times.  I'll share more about this car on my next post!  Needless to say, my dad really loved it!


I'm submitting this to Sepia Saturday, which has a theme that stumped me.  But wait, these are happy girls, and so are my photos!

Click here and go over and see other's posts that might be more on theme this week (scroll to the lists of names and you can click each of them to see what folks are posting).





18 comments:

  1. I had winter coats like yours in the 1950s. I remember them being called "storm coats."

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're all nice pictures, but there's something about that first one where you're all spread out walking that is very pleasing to look at. I couldn't really tell you why, it just is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Postcardy, I think I published some pics of those coats before...and my memory is that they were bright red.
    Thank Gail, I agree, it looks as candid as ever my family's pictures might get.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Addendum to post: I've been hearing from my cousins, who tell me the barber shop their dad (Uncle Jimmy to me) is walking by, is where their father would have a Saturday shave and haircut, and take them with...so they have memories of looking at comics and smelling the after shave there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful coats. Very fancy with the fur collars. I bet you loved them. I like the first 2 photos of walking in the street the best. I have several of that type from the 1930s in the streets of Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sherri...I don't remember wearing the coats at all...perhaps they were just "Sunday best" since they didn't look like something you'd play in very much. I wonder if we even wore them to school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. People walking -- love that first photo especially.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Posh coats and I like the walking one too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reminds me of our coats in the early 60s!! Great photos to have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You made me laugh with the comment that your cousins remembered that you snored! You must have been loud for that to be one of the stronger memories!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well we SepSats all seem to be the same, we can't get past those gorgeous coats and berets. So Stylish. Great family photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you and your sister posed in the hats and collars does make a pretty good match for the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm just a little bit jealous - we never needed beautiful coats and berets like yours but they look so cosy and glamorous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What wonderful photographs they are - dripping with a real sense of time and place. The clothes, the backgrounds ... perfect time capsules all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great family photos. I also love the first walking photo. It is so natural.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes they are happy photos - families out having fun together.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A really nice set of photos. The coats are lovely and how grown-up you girls must have felt with your fur collars.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can feel the crispness in the air just looking at these.

    And how wonderful to see the old fashioned barber's pole. I wish identity signs like this were still used.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.