Update about blogCa

Friday, September 19, 2014

Camping

Sons Tai and Russ race each other along beach probably in 1990
From 1971 to 1984 I drove this van, often sleeping in it while traveling over 150 thousand miles.

But after 84, I returned to tent camping with my younger 2 sons for vacation fun.

Sea Oat hold windswept dunes along Cumberland Island
One of my favorite places was Cumberland Island National Seashore, Georgia.

Of course you have to take a ferry to get to it, since it's an island.  Not many vehicles except those of the Park service and a few people who own homes there.  So there are many miles of tree shaded areas, which is good because the woods are still and very hot in the summer..
Son Tai and myself on the ferry ride.

And a ruin of a Carnegie mansion, destroyed by fire in 1959.





Tai standing in front of Carnegie Mansion ruins, Cumberland Island, GA

I remember that you call on January 1 to make a reservation for the ferry, so that you can get on island and off again.  I once camped on the island in group camping, which is fun, but the last time I went we camped in St. Marys, GA both before and after our day in the sun.  It was still exhausting.



Russ standing with dunes of Cumberland Island


There's the family tent, and that year we tried taking cots rather than just air mattresses.  Not so great.

I'm sharing this post with Sepia Saturday this week...HERE





17 comments:

  1. I have a cousin who lives in St. Marys. You make your camping trips seem very rustic and adventurous, but I'll take a hotel, thank-you. I wonder why the Carnegies didn't rebuild -- surely they could afford it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using cots is okay if your tent is big enough. Otherwise you're in trouble if it rains because they must be pulled away from tent walls in the rain & if there isn't enough room to do it, they'll get wet. Speaking of things not touching the tent in the rain, I learned the hard way one year not to try to push water off the roof of the tent from the inside! Instant indoor shower!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve never tried camping, although we did have caravan holidays.I’m told it was great fun but I’m kind of glad I never found out! It sounds as if you had great family holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you are so right about how rain can spoil a night's sleep in a tent...but believe me, an air mattress and sleeping bag are more prone to becoming wet, so we thought the cots might help. We didn't get rain that trip though, so didn't find out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Sepia Saturday. Cumberland Island sounds like a great place to visit and camp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd forgotten about running your hand over the inside of the tent roof -- why did that make the water leak through, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL. I had to look at Google Maps to find out where Georgia is let alone the beautiful national park. Sepia Saturday is a fantastic way to learn about our world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a one and only time camper I can vouch for the misery inside a wet tent with worms coming in over the top of the ground sheet.
    I could manage the camper though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, what a fun romp of good times this was. All all photos are just summertime fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the scenery at Cumberland Island National Seashore. It looks like a nice place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A fine set of camping tips accompanied by good choices of family photographs.
    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's great to hear from all of you...especially from someone who had to look up Georgia. I live in such a small community here in the southeastern US, but you remind me how far the internet stretches!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cumberland Island Beach looks wonderful. Great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very interesting family collection.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice to read about another family who have enjoyed camping in a different continent. We slept on an air mattress once in the middle of winter, in the hills outside Adelaide, SA. We froze - the cold just came up from the ground. The next day we went out and bought a heater, and some sheepskin overlays for the mattress!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish everyone had memories of camping. It either will bring you together or push your apart. Dealing with the weather and the bugs and the cooking outside…and in my case as a little girl the bear. All good fun memories.

    This looks like a really nice place to visit.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.