Update about blogCa

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Close but no cigar

When I saw an interstate exit saying Shellbyville Historic District, I thought, I remember having an ancestor in Shelby County, KY.  Wonder who it was? 

http://boardwalkbarb.blogspot.com/2013/08/isaac-normans-birthday.html

Ah ha, the blog had the information, Isaac Norman, born Aug. 26, 1765, but he died in Shelby County, KY, and his daughter Polly was born in the same county.  Even Polly's daughter, Hanna Conn Booth, was born there before she went to Texas.  Isaac and his wife are both buried in Elk Creek, (Shelby County) Baptist Church Cemetery.


So I kind of looked up where it was, and thought, maybe I'll have some time to go see it, or do I really want to?  At the gas stop before getting to Shelbyville's exit on I-64, I actually considered tossing a coin to decide whether or not to go looking for ancestors.  I knew this was early in the day of at least 8 hours of driving.

Then there was a very strange construction area on I-64 in which I was herded into a chute of one center lane, with a concrete barricade keeping me away from the outside lane, as well as the exit to Shelbyville.  That must have been what decided things for me.  If I could get off, I would, if I couldn't because of this darn detour, then I wouldn't.  But I really wanted to now that it looked impossible.  (Do you think like that? I do all the time.)


Well, the rest of the story is just as convoluted.  The detour was over, and suddenly there was an exit which said Shelbyville, so I took it, and then drove down the road thinking it might be the one on Google map that went to the road going to the church.  I could see the church on one screen of the map program on my phone, but couldn't connect that point to where I was situated.  The silly maps can't show details when they are zoomed out.  Or if you're zoomed in, you can't see a destination that connects where you are.

So I drove down about 15 miles, didn't find the turnoff, and turned around and came back to my own trip.


However, I did see a church which was Baptist, which had been established in 1811, and had a cemetery next to it.  And I saw some lovely antebellum homes.  So here are a few of the pictures from another main road about 20 miles from where my ancestors lived.




It was a lovely day for driving.


 And if I lived in comfort in Kentucky here, it would have been hard to get me to move to Missouri (where my ancestors moved before going to Texas.)  So I wonder what motivated them to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.