Update about blogCa

Thursday, September 11, 2014

On camera

Way before the days of selfies, people were using film as individuals to record the events around them.

My father, George Rogers, Jr. is the subject of today's collection, recalling some of the poses, or perhaps more candid photos that were taken of him.
Changing a tire in 1936
Not sure which of the Rogers brothers the man with the camera is, but he's obviously unaware that another camera has caught his efforts to capture the moment.  Inner tubes, that was the secret to tires in those days...and out on rough land, a puncture often easily occurred.

I offer this as a Sepia Saturday link Here.  Check out what others have come up with on this theme...or not.

My father on his own wheels, with his eyes closed, probably around 4 years old, with two years older brother Chauncey closer to camera.

A younger photo, where older brother has the vehicle (what a car! while it looks as if my father has a bucket on his head, or is that a hat?


At last there's a younger brother, James, being held by Gummy (Ada Rogers) and (supposedly) my father stands (in uniform) gazing at the subject of this photograph with a disdainful look.  I am not sure this is actually my dad, who would have been 8 years older than James, thus around 9 for this pic, and this chubby fellow looks closer to 6...but it's my guess, and these people aren't around to ask any more.  For now, I'll let my father laugh over the mistake, if it is one.  This frame house of that porch in Fort Worth, TX, did burn in a fire, and was replaced by a brick one soon after.



Here are the posers...in San Antonio...Poppy (George Sr,) Alex, Chauncey and George Jr. who seems to think he's an Indian.  (Incidentally, in Texas our family would say "Elick" for Alex.


My father holding a rifle, on a ranch.  I don't know what they were hunting in 1936...and the Dumble's ranch would have been Poppy's boss' property.

But my father did get his picture with a deer on the fender of his car.

George Jr. hit a deer

I wonder why the caption has said he "hit" a deer.  I hope it means he hunted it, rather than hit it with the car...


16 comments:

  1. An interesting take on the theme; I like the expression of your father in the second one of the children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years ago I took a casual snapshot of our extended family gathered at a big reunion potluck supper. Neither I nor my cousin realized, until we each got home and had our film developed, that we had unknowingly taken pictures of each other taking pictures of the group and it's become a tradition to do this every year since, and others have begun taking pictures of us taking pictures of each other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially like the photos with the cars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid he hit a deer with the car. He doesn't look dressed for hunting with his coat and tie. I like the photo of the camera man taking a photo and being in a photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All super photos. The bucket hat and auto snapshot is a treasure, and the lawn quartet photo is a perfect match for this weekend's Sepia theme.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think he hit the deer with the car also.

    Super photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness -- the posers! Perfect match for this week. You win!

    I also like the irony of the photographer being photographed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fine post. Thank our stars for photographs that can take us back through out own histories. The fog light on the left and the grill look a bit damaged.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great series of photos. The border edging round some of them is really interesting. Haven't seen anything like that before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree he doesn't look dressed for shooting deer but the deer didn't seem to do much damage to the front of the car. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. At first glance I thought they were changing a tyre in a middle of a stream but soon realized my mistake. Know all about punctures this week after a screw caused a flat tyre ! Great that a photographer photographed a photographer

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some of your photos look distinctly the worse for wear, but great that you still have them. Seems it was a popular trend in the 19th century for people to name their sons after George Washington - my husband had a 3x great uncle George Washington Calwell b. 1823.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lad in my village had a 'car' just like the one in your photo of the two children. The deer must have been hit from behind for its head to be undamaged as it appears in the last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. An interesting collection of happy snaps from your family album and some fun poses too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looking at your fantastic array of photos, I think every couple should be given a camera at their wedding -so much more useful than multiple wine glasses, toasters etc! I wonder if our selfies and digital photos will "go the distance" and still be around for others to admire many decades hence.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I especially love the one of the "posers" - what a group of characters. All the photos in this post are wonderful though and go great with this week's theme!

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.