Update about blog

photo from the internet

Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Blog-aversary

 Today says I've been blogging since 2008! My first blog was Goddess in Clay. It's been completely dismantled, and no longer exists in the la-la land of blogs.

So I wrote a few months, then decided to expand and include posts of my own functional clay work...which I started making also in 2008. I had retired in 2007, and recovered enough to start working in the community studio in downtown Black Mountain NC.

Those first efforts were pretty sad, but I was not deterred. I had already studied ceramics and got a BFA many years before. I even spent many Saturday mornings in summers selling my wares at the Tailgate Market.

In the meantime, I would sit here at a computer (I think I've been through one CPU tower and am on my 3rd laptop) and read about other people's lives all over the world, and share little bits of my existence.

For me it was fun to have different topics for different blogs. And so the pottery one, where there used to be recognitions based on how many pottery posts were made in a year...evolved into all art...Alchemy of Clay. 

And since people really responded to photos of the area I lived in...Living in Black Mountain was born (2013-2024) then finally retired as I focused more on this one, When I Was 69 (2013-present.)

However, I had other interests, and started Three Family Trees (2018-now) about my genealogy interests, and Open Yesterday's Pages (2024-26) about anything historic, and then Inner Workings  started just last year for my more serious thoughts.

Then the opportunity came to move to live closer to one of my sons, and perhaps breathe better in drier conditions, so I moved to Durango CO, and within a month I knew I needed to start a new blog Life in Durango!

And I even tried at one time to write a blog about the clay studio, which I kind of let fall away after a while. Most of my blogs are still active, except maybe the goddess one...so I put goddesses in whenever I feel like it, wherever I'm writing. And I sure don't have anything to say on most of them, except this and the Durango one. I keep trying to skip this one...but hey, something is worth sharing, and boom, here I yam!

I enjoy interacting in comments...and making replies. I know few other bloggers do this, but that's ok. I do have busy days when I just barely read blogs at all...but there are seldom days where I don't connect to the www out there at all. I admit to being a blog-addict!

So when blogger started having problems last month or so, I was really worried. I've thought of this as a safe place to store all kinds of information. It's not just the social connections, it's an archive for me. 

I know some of you have been blogging longer than I have, and it's really great to have those friendships. And I also have the sadness associated with those who have died, or just stopped blogging for some other reasons. I have a good-bye blog which will automatically post (if blogger so chooses) whenever I'm no longer able to write here. I just keep adding little bits to it, taking some off, and setting the publication date forward a few months time. So there might be a bit of silence before it finally is posted...and I imagine that's just the way it will have to be.

Until then, I'll see you in the funnies!









19 comments:

  1. That is how life unfolds! One day at a time.
    I had 5 on the go at one point. I've narrowed it down to one.
    I am enjoying your Durango posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a champion blogger! I'm glad I've found your current blogs recently, although I admit that I'm pretty late to the party! Happy 18th Blogoversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...glad to have your comments each time you come by!

      Delete
  3. They come and go, but some of us have stuck with it for our various reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I keep finding more interesting blogs to follow! So in my little world, there's still some expansion of blogs happening.

      Delete
  4. I love your blogs. I am following three right now, this one, Life in Durango and Inner Workings. Now I am hopping to your family history one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I think the family history one is pretty dry. But then, it's just an archive of the ancestors for me and the family.

      Delete
  5. I cannot recall how I found your blog, but I am glad I did! Like you, I enjoy the glimpses into lives from other places and perspectives. Congratulations on keeping at it so long.
    And I do like your idea for a final goodbye post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that I found your blog too...always so interesting to read, though I don't comment all the time!

      Delete
  6. Many of us have now blogged for a long time, and it has been for most of us a worthwhile experience, I am sure. I have made connections all over the world with people I could never have otherwise known. I have met some of them, visited their homes, and even stayed with a few. Sadly, as happens, of course, some have now passed away. Life is reflected on our blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an enjoyable passtime. Social media is one of the categories that it is shelved under...and yet the public aspect has kind of faded in my mind, since I only hear from the same commenters over and over. I tried to give the link to someone yesterday, and only the When I Was 69 blog was searchable.

      Delete
  7. I always forget when I started blogging. Just looked it up. 2007.
    My son Hank told me to do it and I did. As I always say- my children are the boss of me. And truly, they often know what I need more than I do. I've only ever had the one blog though. I don't think I could give more than that the attention it would need. You're able to flow from one to the other which I find rather amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading your blogs...and I know I found yours by reading your comments on Steve's blog...and was hooked!

      Delete
  8. You've been blogging just a bit longer than I. (I started in 2009) I'm not sure when we first got to know each other but you feel like a friend now. That's something I'd never expected - blog friends - and it's a truly delightful aspect of the blogging hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember how I found your blogs either, but I admit to following interesting commenters back from blogs that I was already reading.

      Delete
  9. Hello Barb,
    Happy Blog Anniversary! You've been blogging longer than I have, I started in July 2009. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've enjoyed your posts especially those critters each Saturday!

      Delete
  10. I think that we've been blogging for about the same time!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you're thinking. I'm mostly over on the other blog these days...Life in Durango.