Update about blog

August 8th sunset over Hogback Ridge and Heron Peak. Durango CO with air quality warnings of "ozone" or possibly smoke from wildfires. I kept the windows closed.

Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Cortez Balloon Fest

 

In the quiet of Sunday morning, a whoosh whoosh sound breaks the peace...as two hot air balloons traveled effortlessly across the canyons of Cortez above my son's home last Sunday morning. Photo by Tai Rogers.

Due to erratic winds, the floats were canceled on Saturday morning. The rest of these photos are from the internet.


Friday night had been a glow fest, as well as a drone air show.





Sharing with Wordless Wednesday (almost)





-------------------------


Update on moving anxieties...

I've daily looked for a letter regarding North Carolina stopping my medicaid coverage, so I could officially apply for it here in Colorado...which will help with paying my drug costs.

But no letters have come even with the little yellow stickers of my forwarding address. I may get few bills by mail these days, but now living here past 2 weeks, I am a bit worried. 

So I'll go to the post office tomorrow and see what might be hanging things up.

If it's not one thing...

The good news is that I received a refund of most of my deposit money from my old apartment ..less the mandatory cost of carpet cleaning. When I moved in 11 years ago they had just laid new carpet down, so it stands to reason it needed it. However, that wasn't the policy when I moved in.  

Now to go bank shopping to deposit the check somewhere here.



24 comments:

  1. I am reminded that we have yet to deposit the cheque from our credit card happening. Today though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that reminds me...having a check means figuring out which bank to use here. I think I definitely want drive-through...which some don't have. Parking in a downtown area can be limited.

      Delete
  2. ...what a fun and colorful event, we went for a ballon ride 38 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How great. I'm not interested in going up in a rickety little basket hanging from hot air...my vertigo would kick in big time. It's ok being in a solid (bigger is better) place like an airplane, or even hanging onto a building with a railing.

      Delete
  3. What beautiful hot-air balloons to see floating in the sky! I hope your medicaid coverage gets sorted out soon, for your peace of mind and health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...this morning before 8 am I was sending a document that was emailed, and I had to take a screen shot of it, to the new site which wouldn't recognize the email itself or a Word Doc created from it...hope it works. Can't believe I know all these tricks, and still it's a challenge!

      Delete
  4. Balloons are always so colorful and graceful as they float across the sky. What a fun event. Good luck as you transition to your new home and get everything set up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I do love the colors of hot air balloons too!

      Delete
  5. Nice that your son and DIL are close by for you to enjoy activities with them. Those balloons are lovely sights to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The balloons are certainly beautiful. I am loving having contact with my family closer again (others have lived in the same city when I was in Florida.)

      Delete
  6. There used to be a balloon club near here and we'd see them floating around at weekends. Occasionally one would come down close and a lot of people would run to help! They're a happy sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be in a rather level area. Here they headed to the Cortez airport...but had to avoid canyons where they certainly wouldn't have wanted to land.

      Delete
  7. Hot air balloons are somehow magical, aren't they? Both in their appearance and their silent ascents.
    The mechanics of life never end, do they? Why can't they have the same grace as the balloons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reminded of the Wizzard of Oz and that balloon for some reason. Right now I'm a bit overwhelmed by the mechanics of support services changing hands...post office, medicaid, etc.

      Delete
  8. My ex-husband's mother had a neighbor with a hot air balloon and she had promised us a ride at some point. After I divorced him (he was against the divorce but wanted to live as if he was single) he got the balloon ride and made sure to tell me. Frankly, staying married to him wasn't worth the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a comparison! But I certainly understand giving up small pleasures in consideration of the painful ones.

      Delete
    2. Painful experiences, not pleasures! I kind of messed up that phrasing.

      Delete
  9. There is a city near me that hosts the balloons once a year. They had to cancel for weather this year. My neighbors love to go. I like looking at them but not enough to travel to do it.
    What a mess with the health insurance stuff. Ridiculous!!!! And yes, get a bank with a drive thru!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing the beautiful fabric balloons...and that they just float with the wind rather than being directed mechanically! Amen to the health insurance stuff!

      Delete
  10. There's something magical about sighting one of those balloons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ha...magic is afoot. The eclipse reminds me to be more aware of magical happenings.

      Delete
    2. Or did I mean scientific? Maybe magical science?

      Delete
  11. I love to see the colourful balloons, though I know I wouldn't like to ride in one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, another thing to enjoy the beauty of it, but not the experience.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I tried moderating, thinking that would be a quicker way to check on comments, but actually it takes more time. So go ahead and talk amongst yourselves, and I'll check in when I can!!