Friday, August 7, 2026

On the Road - almost done!

 What's for Sepia Saturday this week? And just look at all these skies...so sharing with Skywatch Friday!

In my life, I have some photos that need sharing...but they aren't quite sepia yet.




Along the highways as we traveled from Black Mountain NC to Cortez CO. Here's a feature of Memphis TN.


Going over the Mississippi. I kind of missed Little Rock. Perhaps that was where the road was almost the worst. I think Memphis won that prize.

Three nights in similar configurations. Second night in Fort Smith AK.


Webbers Falls OK


Webbers Falls OK. At the truck stop, I saw this strange military truck.



Oklahoma City

Oklahoma City 


Oklahoma City OK. An interesting vehicle, a command center truck for the US Marines.


Calumet OK



Erick OK. Last stop in Oklahoma. 

We stopped every 2 hours for gas and restroom breaks. It meant taking more time, but kept us sane. And this is where we lost the credit card (and noticed it within 2 hours). No charges were made, but ordering a new one meant switching to using another bank card the rest of the trip. (I moved funds from the lost card account to the second one that evening!)


A short hop across the panhandle of Texas.

Adrian TX


Yes there's more. The desert country will be next week!

Sepia Saturday offers this interesting view...
I have no idea what's going on, but am reminded somehow of Noah's Ark.





28 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Great photos from your road trip west. It is scary to lose a credit card, I am glad all went well.
    Take care, Happy Friday! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have already received the replacement card, which doesn't seem to have a pin attached. Not sure I like that. Will be checking with the bank.

      Delete
  2. So easy to lose a small piece of plastic!
    It must be mind numbing to drive that far. I can manage one two hour stint on a long journey but I try and stop every hour for a leg and mind stretch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were driving alone I might stop more often. But sometimes we did when my body needed it. And Tai really wanted to push to get further so we could do it in 4 days and 3 nights.

      Delete
  3. That sure doesn’t look like a fun trip.

    That last quote. I think of that often. I thought I might be the only one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a trip with a purpose, so less for the fun of travel. Yes those stupid millionaires are sure missing the end of their methods.

      Delete
  4. Interesting photos. Our country is so big and there's so much to see. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed to get bigger after Oklahoma...just lots of unusable land.

      Delete
  5. There's definitely a Noah's Ark vibe to your Sunday Sepia photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our host, Alan Burnett is British, so I forgive him for the subtle shots we have every once in a while.

      Delete
  6. You and Tai had an Odyssey of your own, didn't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way of looking at it. But fortunately the trials didn't include any sirens or battles.

      Delete
  7. So far. And so flat. I've driven large parts of the US but not that region. Gosh, it's huge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and lots of space that isn't able to be used for food/herd animals at all. I'll include some shots of that next week.

      Delete
  8. Quite a trip. Were you pulling your car behind the rental truck? How did your car get there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the car was hoisted by front wheels onto a dolly...and dragged along. We could only move forward, which meant finding parking spaces where there was a big turning area. Tai was great at doing all the driving. Car arrived fine, but is very dirty. I need to find a car wash.

      Delete
  9. That's quite a road trip. I remember all the pictures my daughter took of her journey from Broston to California when she was moving back to her home state. She & her traveling companion stopped as they entered every state they were crossing to take pictures of themselves with the states' welcome signs. :) Sorry about the lost credit card. The hassle of having to let everyone know your new credit card number is a pain in you know where!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I just realized that with loading some more funds onto my laundry app.

      Delete
  10. Kudos to Tai!!!! He is an exceptional driver. It had to be difficult to pull a car along with everything else. Your travel photos look like mine. My husband likes to take freeways and I take my photos out car windows. He does not, however, stop every 2 hours for a break. That is a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my age kind of made those stops necessary. Plus we got gas in small amounts, always having a full tank.

      Delete
  11. ...This is an M1120 Load Handling System (LHS) truck from the Oshkosh Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck (HEMTT) family.The truck features an 8x8 drive and is primarily used by the U.S. military for logistics and transport.It is designed to rapidly load and unload containers using an integrated hook system. Isn't the internet a wealth of knowledge?

    ReplyDelete
  12. The wide open spaces! So different from WNC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like a view with distant things to see. But I've been happy in NC with the Blue Ridge Parkway. Tai said a lot of the vast area were the plains. I didn't know they went that far south.

      Delete
  13. I can hardly conceive of those distances. What an epic trip! You found some interesting things to photograph. So glad you made it safely to your new home, even if minus a credit card. (What a pain! I've just been given a new one with a different number and there are endless things I've had to change as a result. I don't even think I've remembered everything yet.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...fortunately one news source emailed me that the old number didn't work, so I called and got them updated. Then I had to do Apple...it all means jumping through hoops.

      Delete
  14. Nice photos from your journey, I've never been to that part of the US. I like your new header and the words about billionaires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, there are many places I haven't been also, and now I'm just trying to get used to this new neighborhood.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I tried moderating, thinking that would be a quicker way to check on comments, but actually it takes more time. So go ahead and talk amongst yourselves, and I'll check in when I can!!