Thursday, July 30, 2026

How did she actually do that?

We've had quite enough personal posts...whew, I'm definitely putting my feet up. Now that I've returned to the internet, now to make sure all the providers of things I need/enjoy know where I am.

So here's a post I prepared a while back. Just something I find quite interesting!


 Maria Popova writes about Marie Tharp and her work mapping the oceans floors.

This essay came from the recently published book Traversal, by the same author.


Marie Tharp at work. (Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory.)



Leaving home in a sense involves a kind of second birth in which we give birth to ourselves. -Robert Neelly Bellah, sociologist and author (1927-2013)



Yes, I know this post doesn’t have any of my personal life news in it. Just wait. I’ll be back soon!




12 comments:

  1. That’s cute about the telephone booth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...I will be waiting, but the phon booth was great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie Tharp! I featured her last summer on my "Beautiful Woman of the Day" blog. Her scientific discoveries were dismissed by male scientists as "girl talk." Here's the link if you want to see it --

    https://bwotday.blogspot.com/2025/08/marie-tharp.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link. I remember reading about her about that time also. Another great (forgotten) woman!

      Delete
  4. Obviously Clark Kent needs one of those huge SUV's that everyone seems to be driving to change in. Use a little creativity here, man!
    I like your view. Plenty of trees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I could use some good nutritional advice as to your suggestion of building up red blood cells. So far I'm just eating more beef than I have in months...at least once a day, anyway. And I'm trying to get fish every other day because my poor brain is lagging behind even when the pulse ox says 92.

      Delete
  5. Hello,
    I hope you are doing well, recovering from your move! We need a few Supermen to help save the world.
    Take care, have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are invisible supermen and women everywhere. I think my son and his wife are among them! I'm feeling sluggish but no fever today.

      Delete
  6. Those ocean floor maps are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they are real...if we wanted to float into subterranean waves!

      Delete
  7. I love the photo booth!! Glad to hear you have your feet up!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feet up, very short nap, and lots of unloading boxes again today. Tai and Kendra are the prizes.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I tried moderating, thinking that would be a quicker way to check on comments, but actually it takes more time. So go ahead and talk amongst yourselves, and I'll check in when I can!!