Wednesday, September 30, 2026

From mountains to EMPs

 

From the internet...fortunately good photographers are traveling around in Colorado capturing the fall colors and sharing them on FaceBook.



My photo this morning. Another day of cool rain...temperatures in 50s.

Just wanted to have something to post for today!

I've read John Walter's newsletter today, about how EMPs will easily destroy our civilization,
 Electromagnetic Pulses. 

I've also read One Second After - a 2009 science fiction novel by American writer William R. Forstchen. The novel deals with an unexpected electromagnetic pulse attack on the United States as it affects the people living in and around the small American town of Black Mountain, North Carolina.

Released in March 2009, One Second After was ranked as number 11 on the New York Times Best Seller list in fiction in May 2009

There have been several sequels to this novel, and the last book I tried unsuccessfully to read was about an elevator to the moon by the same author. It had been proposed decades earlier by another sci-fi author, and was deemed scientifically implausible due to atmospheric friction on the cables.

----------------

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual.
 -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

--------------

I'm continuing to watch  the Prime series "Genius" about Einstein. It is kind of good, and kind of continues with the same theme of how hard it was for him to work in a world that didn't recognize his talents. 

--------------






10 comments:

  1. Oh yes, "Genius" -- I saw that many years ago on cable TV when it first aired. A good examination of young Einstein both as a man and as a scientist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like finding out some of the personal history of famous scientists.

      Delete
  2. Great, as if we don't have enough to be concerned about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Amish will survive pretty well, I'm thinking, from an EMP.

      Delete
    2. yes I think that you are right about that

      Delete
  3. The fall colors at the bottom of the mountain - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the images, we could use more rain here. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Between EMPs, AI, nuclear weapons and rampant disregard for the environment we are determined to destroy ourselves one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven’t watch anything on Prime for awhile. I don’t miss the commercials which I refuse to pay extra to get rid of.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you're thinking. I'm mostly over on the other blog these days...Life in Durango.