The Durango Public Library
Internet photo with small trees of the entrance to the library
-----------------------
I saw an interesting talk was to be given by zoom as well as in person on Sat. afternoon, about early Spanish explorers in this area looking for a good route to California. I signed up for the zoom, but the sound quality left a lot to be desired. And I was glad to not have gone in person to hear the talk, as they handed out fans to everyone because of the heat.
I'll visit this museum when it's cooler!
------------------
Down the street I saw this:
------------
I'm good driving around, while breathing with my portable oxygen generator...and can walk a little ways carrying it. This old bod is working to acclimate to the altitude. Plus the air quality has been moderate to poor, getting worse in evenings. Fires and ozone levels are what are reported on the warnings.
------------
I saw the La Plata County Fairgrounds, and nearby the very big Durango Community Recreation Center
I had a lovely fun visitor outside my window as I composed this on Sunday morning. A female (or juvenile) hummingbird looked in the closed window...at herself in the reflection perhaps. She flew towards the glass, checking it out, then moved on to the next window in the building. I hope she finds some nectar, probably a bit further down than the 4th floor of a brick building!
Sharing with Tuesday's Treasures!
--------------------------
And speaking of Tom, who frequently shares posts from Rochester NY...I just wanted to mention a newsletter I read (daily?)
Keith Kron from Keith Kron What Really Matters keithkron@substack.com
In Rochester, the majority of people out on a walk say hello. Or at least nod. That’s not the case in Providence. I’ve been thinking about why.
My continued experience having been to all 50 state and Puerto Rico, ten Canadian provinces, and ten countries is that people are people. It doesn’t matter where you are. Once you get to know them, this is easier to see...."
Now I should watch and form my own opinion of the level of friendliness in Durango, my new home.







...a lovely neighborhood, but not as lush as Black Mountain. The blue sky looks healthier. the smoke must not bad at the moment. Keith Kron's comment is nice to hear!
ReplyDeleteYes, this area has more rocky terrane to deal with, and steep slopes as well...but I keep looking at the trees and thinking how in a month or so half of them will change color. While the other half will stay green all winter. I enjoy Keith's take on the world, though I've sent editorial comments about the grammar mistakes that seep into his newsletters.
DeleteGetting to know you.
ReplyDeleteGetting to know all about you.
🎵
That’s you and Durango.
The old song came to mind.
Ah Julie Andrews...though I'm not sure which movie!
DeleteI hope your lungs and body adjust to these new circumstances. Are you feeling comfortable there, overall? That library looks like a fine one to me.
ReplyDeleteI'm dealing with the incredible difficulty of transferring health insurance to a new state...you'd think Medicare and Medicaid would just come along with me, but there are state rules and regs which mean letters from the prior state must show I no longer am being covered there, before I can get help in the new residence. Finally yesterday I found out that I'm still covered by North Carolina's policy, but will have to pay for "out of network" costs to see any medical care in Colorado. Today I'll find out how much that will be for my 3 medical visits I've scheduled for August. Incidentally, I'm able to sit and type without supplemental oxygen, but need it to move about and do things!
DeleteYou ARE making progress! Don't forget that!
DeleteThat sucks about the Medicare and Medicaid. I mean- come on.
I am so sorry you are dealing with insurance issues. I would have thought it would be much easier. Crazy.
ReplyDeleteHow nice they offer programs on Zoom. Hopefully they can get the sound (and ac) issues resolved. I attend our historical meetings on zoom now. So much easier than driving at night. The library looks wonderful! I think you are handling things very wisely.
Thanks for your supportive comment. The 100 degree temperatures may be on the wane finally...so I might be able to go out for afternoon drives and exploration soon.
DeleteII'm loving learning about your new home!.
ReplyDeleteIt's a pretty slow process. Which is probably a good thing.
DeleteHello Barb,
ReplyDeleteThe library looks nice, a good place to spend time on a hot day. I hope you are adjusting well to the new home. The market looks like a great place to check out on a Saturday morning. Take care, have a great day!
Thanks. I just spent an hour inside the library today...more photos of course to come!
DeleteIt's so interesting for me to see this new area and it's good you're able to explore just a little. When the heat drops and you acclimatise, you will be able to venture further. But it sounds like you're being sensible and I'm glad for that.
ReplyDeleteI'm feeling quite welcomed here. Except for the health care and insurance situation, it has been quite smooth going.
DeleteWhen I moved between provinces in Canada (from Manitoba to Alberta), it took 3 months for my health care coverage to switch over to my new province of residence. However, because of interprovincial agreements, my old province continued to cover me during the interim period.
ReplyDelete