Friday, August 14, 2026

Along the road going southwest

 

This is the second and final post about my trip from western North Carolina to southwestern Colorado.

Wildorado TX, July 24, 2026 - Yes, we saw lots of wind farms.

Adrian TX, July 24, 2026

We saw several dust devils rise up and disappear in seconds.  I missed catching the ones that were perfectly defined little tornadoes.

Vega - what an interesting cloud!

We did drive through a few rain storms. 


Breakfast at La Quinta Inn in Santa Rosa, NM on July 25, 2026. Tai also cooked me a delicious waffle. The Rte. 66 auto museum was just down the street. We had other things on our minds!

Santa Rosa NM




One of the many casinos were passed.




Albuquerque NM



A whole lot of land where not much can grow.



Small settlements were scattered around, just like the mesas.







You may have seen Jabba the Hutt before.






I was watching the soil turn into these strange black rock formations



And then they were gone...



My first train appeared, and then another within a few miles.


Adopt a Highway Litter Control...
Newsome Resource Center





Shiprock beyond Tai's relentless driving.


Tsé Bitʼaʼí, known today as Shiprock, NM

First view of the San Juan Mountains.





And we were welcomed to Colorado!

Towaoc




 Mancos CO




Coming into Cortez CO, there are little mini-bill-board signs, so you still can see the view!


A domestic view with my son finally home, with wife and dog doing their thing!

And an exhausted me describing something or another while enjoying home-made garbanzo stew! (Fortunately the bruises on my legs come and go quickly...but it was hot, so comfort was the choice over beauty!)

------Yes this was lots of photos...just wanted a completion of the journey all together!
My main emotion is immense  gratitude for my son's helping me move my whole life to a new setting, to be near one of them and to hopefully breathe better!
---------------

Update from Thursday...
I went to the Post Office first thing, and the address change order I'd put in in North Carolina July 22 didn't show anywhere in their records. Sometimes I like that our whole lives are on digital files. So I made a new address change form.

Then to Natural Grocery to sign up for the raffle of a free car. Why not. I got my iron tablets on sale also, to help with adjusting to the altitude. And some of my favorite drink, Reeds Jamaican Ginger Beer.

Walgreens was right across the street, so I activated my account for a prescription that's being transferred. With the medicaid in limbo, I doubt it will be the usual price, but quite a bit higher. We shall see when they fill it.

---------------
Sharing with Skywatch Friday

24 comments:

  1. Barbara, thanks for sharing your cross country journey in photos. The beauty of driving in such wide open spaces is beautiful compared to the roadways here on the east coast and the scenery is better as well. It’s unfortunate that the change of address form was mislaid and sadly postal services are more costly and less efficient it seems. Good to read you had success on your shopping excursion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so tired of dealing with all the inefficiencies of all the agencies which I depend upon. It stresses to me that there is indeed a trickle down effect of firing capable people and trying to just make a buck.

      Delete
  2. ...wow, this was quite a trip. Enjoy settling in and adjusting to your new environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a discussion of the ancestors who had travelled with wagons starting in Jamestown VA with our first immigrants to finally Texas before it became a state. Their slow journeys west were fraught with so many more obstacles than ours. We were fortunate in only having one near miss, and saw no accidents along the 1800 or so miles.

      Delete
  3. So, so much space. So alien to those of us who have lived in more southeastern areas where you can't see the forest for the trees in many cases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm slowly adjusting to the spaciousness out west...it is certainly different!

      Delete
  4. Such long straight roads - and, though interesting, a lot of it looks quite barren compared to what I'm used to. What an epic journey, well done to your son for driving safely all that way. But yes, still easier than a covered wagon, I guess! You must be exhausted, there is so much to sort out administratively, on top of the big change and acclimatisation to the heat and altitude. You're doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay to the big move! This elder woman (crone some would call me) is feeling like this accomplishment is now over...and I'm hoping to no longer need oxygen to breathe in a month or so. I'm impatient!

      Delete
  5. Wow, beautiful views from your road trip west. The sky captures are lovely and I like all the rock formations.
    Enjoy your day and happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of the elements, I thought that earth/rock would become my focus out west. It sure was on the drive. But now that I'm here, it seems I'm back concentrating on air.

      Delete
  6. Your views in New Mexico reminded me of Tony Hillerman's wonderful descriptions of the clouds and sky. If you haven't read his Leaphorn and Chee mysteries, this would be a good time to begin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read and re-read Hillerman and his daughter's works...and watched the strange TV show Dark Winds...based on some of the earlier books. It's strange in that it focuses on different plots rather than those in the original stories. Wife just moves away rather than dies...??? Then there is all the effort of Leaphorn to get her back.

      Delete
  7. I love road trips and am very familiar with most of you went through and still love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's great...someone who has been on this path before! I know others have done it, and am really grateful for the comforts now offered here in Durango.

      Delete
  8. The photos really underline that it was a long drive, in ways that words really can't quite convey! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lots of miles brought lots of views...and I forgot to say the last driving one is of the west side of Mesa Verde...just before we got into Cortez.

      Delete
  9. I don't envy you that trip. There's something about travelling the open road but preferably not within a moving van.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very comfortable truck cab...with good AC controls too. Of course a bit high for me to climb in and out...which Tai solved with my step stool at every stop. I felt bad about that, but it did allow me to get in and out easily. If we'd been in a passenger vehicle, it sure would have been nicer, but I'm not complaining!

      Delete
  10. Have you tried GoodRx for prescription discounts?
    You captured some great skyscapes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if push comes to shove, they are also available.

      Delete
  11. Most of your trip west was familiar, although we took Interstate 80 through the midwest farms when we moved cross country from NYC to Colorado. One trip we drove to Phoenix from Colorado and saw some of New Mexico. It is nice to live near you son and I hope your breathing improves. Pretty soon fall and cool weather will arrive. PS: Try GoodRx as someone suggested before me--it gives good discounts on meds that insurance does not cover or has a hjigh price on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used GoodRX for just that reason in the past... and I drove from Colorado through Arkansas and Missouri coming back in my 2019 trip with a friend...well, she did most of the driving. Our country on the interstates is mostly beautiful.

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful son Tai is! That is a long drive. I have never traveled in places like that and it is interesting but I think I would get bored after a while. I do like the wind farms and those keep me amused (can you tell I am never the driver, just the passenger). I' m so glad you guys arrived safely! And now on to your new life.
    And boo hiss to all the problems - this medicare/medicaid mess has be steamed up on your behalf. How dare they make it so hard. And now the post office? You are doing everything right and they keep dropping the ball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of the people in government offices here also are still working from their homes - six years after the pandemic. The office I visited had two staff members, and lots of empty desks.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I tried moderating, thinking that would be a quicker way to check on comments, but actually it takes more time. So go ahead and talk amongst yourselves, and I'll check in when I can!!