Update about blogCa

Saturday, June 23, 2018

Webb family of Texas

I would like to shift gears, and go look at my mother's family again, which I haven't talked about for a while.

Today I'm going to look at the siblings of my grandfather who I never knew, Albert (Bud) Webb, (1891-1919). Bud was the next to youngest of 8 children of Leroy 1857-1921) and Annie Elizabeth Williams Webb (1862-1942).

It's also Mrs. Webb's birthday on June 20, so happy birthday great grandmother!
And this former post talks about Annie Williams Webb's ancestors who traveled west to Texas.
HERE is a former blog I wrote about Granddad Bud.

The photo below shows the Webb feed store, including some gentlemen standing up high (which is my link to this week's Sepia Saturday = see below!)

Here is a blog about his father, Leroy (Larry, Leary) Webb and his family.

I have looked a bit more at Bud Webb's older brother, John Webb (1880-1938) Here,
and HERE.

Great grandfather Leroy (or L. F. perhaps) lived with his family in San Antonio at 130 Lewis St. for several census reports. When my grandfather, Albert Bud Webb, signed his draft card in 1917, his address was 96 Lewis St, which is still a small cottage.  At that time he had married my grandmother, and my mother had just been born.

2016 street view of 125 Lewis St, San Antonio, TX  Google image, with some strange coloration through my printer!  There was no 130 Lewis St left (if it ever existed), but the curved 2 story porch on this house situated on a corner, says that it was thoughtfully created. This house now holds offices of a psychological practice.

Grandpa Bud's oldest brother, James Eugene Webb, (1878-1927) married in 1904 to Alvina (Ollie) Albrecht Webb, who had been born in Texas in 1885, and lived until 1971. She had a 4th grade education, and her father Wilhelm came from Germany, but her mother Louise Alwine Dorbritz Albrecht was born in Texas. Ollie was one of 18 children according to the list at Ancestry.  But she and J. E. only had one child.  So that's just 2 grandchildren of the Webbs, so far.

Many German immigrants settled in the area of West Central Texas, part of the Mexican and then early Texan effort to have settlers come and make new communities in the mid nineteenth century.

So after James E, the next son born was John Webb (as mentioned in 2 previous posts.)  He had 3 daughters, bringing grandchildren total to 5.

Then Annie and L. F. Webb had a little girl Laura, who only lived 5 years.  Next birth for Annie and L. F.  was Marguerite Ellen Webb Carroll (1883-1951). Her husband also had his name spelled Carrel, and apparently was born in Arkansas, so probably wasn't related to the Alabama Carrolls who also were on my family tree...though it's always a possibility.  Marguerite and David William Carroll  had one girl that I know of. (Grandchildren total now 6.)

The next youngest Webb was Thomas Ketch Webb, (1886-1959).  When he died in 1959 he was listed as owner of a small cafe in San Antonio.  In 1930 he owned a "Flour and Feed" store. At the census of 1940 he and his wife lived with her parents, and his father-in-law owned a cigar stand and Tom worked for him.  At age 56 he registered for the draft for WW II in 1942.  His wife was Lenora Augusta Bilhartz (Bichortz) Webb, (1896-1972) with either German or Swiss parents.  They had no children. I like knowing that they both returned from Rio de Janeiro in 1947 on a ship, which records include his Brazilian visa and photo.


The next Webb child was Clara Belle Webb Bruce, ( 1888-1971) who married Fred C. Bruce (1881-1972).  Again, they had no children. Fred also was a proprietor of a cafe, in the 1930 census.  He lived a year beyond his wife.

And the baby of the family, born in 1905, was L. F. Webb, Jr.   He and his wife, Evelin Lafortune Webb, lived with the senior Webb family in that house (above at 130 Lewis St.) in the San Antonio Directory of 1929.   There's also a Social Security claim (undated) after L. F.'s death in 1937 with a daughter Evelin listed, who died in 1999, born 1927.  But there's a change I just noticed.  After L. F., (a labor foreman for the Missouri Pacific railroad,) died in 1937, Evelin Lafortune Webb married again. I don't have the date, but the census of 1940 shows her tucked into the Shults family living in "rural Beaxar County TX"

So it looks as if her next husband adopted her daughter Evelin, and she became Evelin Shults...and whether others of the family had been from a former marriage of his, or they were born to Evelin Sr., there were 5 children then.  And that wasn't the last of Mrs. Webb Shults.  Her husband Lt. Ray Shults of the US Air Force died in 1980, and she remarried in 1985 to Alphonse Paul Donaubauer, whom she also outlived.  I don't know if she died in 1997, and the Social Security lagged behind, or if she lived until 2000, when Social Security listed.

I can only share what's available on Ancestry, after all.  So I'm adding the one child of  L. F. Jr and his wife, Evelin Webb, namely Evelin Webb Shuts, giving the Webb family 7 grandchildren, one of whom was my mother.

Sepia Saturday's offering this week show us...

SEPIA SATURDAY 424 : SATURDAY 23 JUNE 2018

9 comments:

  1. I kept looking to see if any of those Webbs moved to South Carolina, but no. I have a cousin who married a Webb, but he lived in SC. Oh well. :) Enjoyed your post very much. A lot of good history there! And the feed store was definitely a good link to the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo fits the prompt well. Guess those guys up top didn't want to be just one of the crowd!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for comment, Gail...I have been busy looking at some of the brothers and sisters of my ancestors...and then their wives/husbands and children. My conclusion? We're definitely all related somehow!
    Thanks Kathy for stoping by. I was happy to read your blog about your ancestor this morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mr Rogers
      My name is Linda Morris and I have been searching for years for information about my grandfather L.F.Webb.jr. my mother is Evelyn Webb daughter of Evelyn Webb LaFortune and L.F. Webb. My mother looks just like her father. My grandmother remarried Ray Shultz but he did not adopt my mother or her sister (also L.F.s daughter) they kept the name Webb until they married . I would love to talk with you about my Webb family history as my mom knew only what she remembered and what little my grandma told her.
      You can reach me at LBM21262@gmail.com. Thank you ..Linda

      Delete
    2. Dear Mr Rogers
      My name is Linda Morris and I have been searching for years for information about my grandfather L.F.Webb.jr. my mother is Evelyn Webb daughter of Evelyn Webb LaFortune and L.F. Webb. My mother looks just like her father. My grandmother remarried Ray Shultz but he did not adopt my mother or her sister (also L.F.s daughter) they kept the name Webb until they married . I would love to talk with you about my Webb family history as my mom knew only what she remembered and what little my grandma told her.
      You can reach me at LBM21262@gmail.com. Thank you ..Linda

      Delete
  4. The Webb feed story photo is an excellent match for this week's prompt! The house photo actually looks more interesting colorized...I also take/use photos of nearby houses when those of my ancestors are no longer standing. And how fortunate to have that photo of Tom Ketch Webb. Ancestral families with so may children are always a challenge to unravel, and you are doing an excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Molly...glad to hear your view on the post. I wonder if I'm a bit obsessed with the houses ancestors lived in...perhaps I am I admit it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ms Rogers
    I am LF Webb's granddaughter. My mom was his daughter Evelyn Webb and she was 9 when he died. I would live to speak with you or write you regarding Webb family history .
    Linda Morris ..LBM21262@gmail.c..LBM21262@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess we must be cousins of the Webb family! That's great. I've posted other times about the family on my blog. I'll definitely contact you by email!

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.