Update about blogCa

Friday, March 21, 2014

The statues in the zoo

A few years ago I took my grands to the Tampa Zoo.  It's in Lowry Park and is a lovely zoo.  I've been there several times, and remember what a laugh it was back in the early 70s when we first moved to FL.  But by the 2000s it became a place to enjoy and learn for intergenerational fun.

At the bat exhibit my grands decided they were also hanging upside down, thus their hairs being "pushed" against gravity.  Not sure about how they knew what a bat's facial expression might be!

We were out early in the morning to beat the heat, but the Koala was determined to still sleep-in.

Did she really want to pet the goat, or not?  Hope you don't mind my interspersing some animals with the grandchildren's pictures.

Yes, that's exactly the pose for the penguins..maybe less the shades and sandals.



My favorite exhibit...


Oh look, he's thirsty for water!

 Isn't that cute!

Guess that's enough looking through fences at zoo animals for today.  I'm giving this post to Sepia Saturday, even though these statues are alive.  Come over to see other folk's posts where there may be some statues that are man-made (HERE).

13 comments:

  1. Zoo's are fun. I've been to several in Calif. - both as child & adult & with kids. My favorites have always been the monkeys who do the funniest - sometimes blushingest - things. Petting zoos are even more fun - especially when goats (your picture of the goat reminded me)or llamas try to eat your straw hat& basket purse! Nice twist on the statue theme, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughters posed next to some wax figures at a wax museum -- it was hilarious watching them imitate the pose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love zoos and the like. Love animals I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The problems with communication ! I thought you said you took your grandparents to the zoo and I thought what a kind thing to do and probably very rewarding for inter-generational communication. then I realized you;d changed to talking about your grandchildren. Ah two trips to the zoo. I wonder how long ago the trip with the grandparents was. Then it started to puzzle me and I wandered back for another look and realized it was probably ALL about grandchildren. Apparently that's what GRANDS means in YOUR country. Not where I live :-)
    An interesting visit with your family,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed out a large statue that I had taken in Detroit Zoo last year. But your live statues are much better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nah, I think grands are whoever is grand in your life. Since I'm the granny, for me I speak of the little ones. I bet they could well speak of my generation that way. But now I wonder, will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not much of a zoo person, I'm afraid. That bird's beak is a very odd shape, I presume to accomodate some oddly shaped fish or other.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zoos are as fun for the children aren’t they. Getting an animal to be a statue may be pushing your luck however.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darn Koalas. I remember the ones at the Los Angeles zoo were always asleep too. And then the pandas at the San Diego zoo were asleep and in hiding. You were lucky if you saw a butt after waiting in line for an eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fun post! No need to go to a zoo to see a koala here, there was one in a tree next door to our beach unit over Xmas up at Hawks Nest on the NSW mid north coast, where there is a small colony, and just today we saw hundreds of fruit bats hanging from the trees in the botanic gardens in Albury, a town between Sydney and Melbourne. Sadly lots of dead kangaroos by the roadside along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Photos of children at the zoo are always winners. I think the experience is the best way to introduce kids to science and zoology.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep, I'm with Jo - koalas in the bush near us. They sleep a lot in the day - I think they sleep a lot - one theory is that the oils in the gum leaves makes them drunk!

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.