Update about blogCa

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

My parents pose

May I introduce my father, George Elmore Rogers, Jr.
I will give honor to his life in another post.


My mother, Mataley Mozelle Webb Munhall Rogers

Look for more about her life HERE.
There are more pictures of my father on that posting as well.

These are studio portraits of my parents, way before I came along.  I don't know the cause for their getting these pictures, but they did attend the same high school, Jefferson, in San Antonio, TX.

The pin in his lapel is called the Cross and the Crown, which is an emblem that Christian Scientists identify with.

"B... Studio of San Antonio, Texas," is a confusing name in  the lower right corner.  Buider? Baider? Bieder? whatever...

My mother's hairdo with a Marcel wave, has a lot of 20s influence.  She was born in 1917, so by the time she looked like this, it was definitely the mid 30s.  They were married in 1936.  I didn't see any pictures of them together before '34. 

This is a contribution to Sepia Saturday, where lots of fun and old (or maybe fun or old) photos are shared.  I can't follow the theme for this week, so am just sharing some pictures that are interesting.






19 comments:

  1. Your Parents Make a Striking & Handsome Couple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two wonderful pictures, I love the style of both. Who cares if you are on theme or not, it is always a pleasure to view old photos such as these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it is next to impossible to follow the theme and your parents' photos are lovely. They were indeed a handsome couple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the photos of your parents. Your mother's photo is really beautiful and your father is so snappy. Since I was raised a Christian Scientist (but have fallen away as an adult) I really relate to your dad.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos! Your father looks very dapper, and your mother looks quite coquettish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful portraits, very much in the flavour of the 1930s. Rather an interesting colour of tie, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Brett, I kind of think the colorist got carried away with that blue tie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely portraits and ones to treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you had said that these two were Hollywood movie stars from the 1930s, I'd believe it. Striking portraits and real treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Portraits to admire and treasure always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photos to have of your parents. Your mother is indeed a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The comments above have said it all. Your mother is gorgeous.

    I would not have wanted to use that hand made bridge in the linked post. It looked a bit too unsafe for me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, these are lovely photographs. I love your mother's hair style! It is very becoming on her.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The style of these portraits makes me want to know more. Your parents look so delicate. Your father's skin especially looks so sleek, almost like baby skin. Was he THAT clean-shaven really or was this a photographic effect?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know this photo was touched up, he never had pink cheeks when I knew him...but he sure did keep his chin smooth all the time that I remember!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your dad is the epitome of dapper. Your mom is coy and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love these photos of your parents and scenes from their lives.

    The car in the photo looks like a 1949 Ford I found on Google photos.
    Anyway, it was a stylish car, whatever its make!

    Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wonder where the word 'marcel' comes from. The style suits your mother.

    ReplyDelete

There is today, more than ever, the need for a compassionate regenerative world civilization.